Speed Control For SX3 ? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Control For SX3 ?

Downloads
    Uploads

In the mean time you could look at one of the hall sensors with a meter or scope and turning the motor shaft, count how many time is goes high in one revolution, this will tell you the pole count. Just out of interest.
    Disconnect the stator first.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by devers6 View Post
    This has been an exercise in frustration for me over the years I have owned my Grizzly SX3 - there have been many false starts for solutions to spindle and speed control. So the info that Al_The_Man provided earlier in this thread came as welcome news that perhaps using a different off-the-shelf driver would be a viable alternative.

I found an AMC B25A20AC drive on Ebay and bought it - should arrive in a week or so. In the meantime, I have begun to collect wiring information from the Grizzly docs. Here is a diagram showing the hookups to the current motor - I would be interested in any advice on how the AMC should be connected to replace it.

Looks like I will be the guinea pig on this - I have already reached out to Al_The_Man via PM, and he has given me some very helpful starting advice. I will log my results in this thread as I see what happens.
    Cool! Good luck!

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This has been an exercise in frustration for me over the years I have owned my Grizzly SX3 - there have been many false starts for solutions to spindle and speed control. So the info that Al_The_Man provided earlier in this thread came as welcome news that perhaps using a different off-the-shelf driver would be a viable alternative.

I found an AMC B25A20AC drive on Ebay and bought it - should arrive in a week or so. In the meantime, I have begun to collect wiring information from the Grizzly docs. Here is a diagram showing the hookups to the current motor - I would be interested in any advice on how the AMC should be connected to replace it.

Looks like I will be the guinea pig on this - I have already reached out to Al_The_Man via PM, and he has given me some very helpful starting advice. I will log my results in this thread as I see what happens.
    Sounds great. I saw a couple of them on ebay as well, but figured I'd just hold off seeing as I don't even have the mill yet !

Please post all your findings in this thread as I am sure there are more than just the 2 of us that are interested in this.

Best Regards,

Lewis

Downloads
    Uploads

Is it just on/off computer control you want? While it has digital inhibit, it looks to me like the speed control on that drive is a manual potentiometer input.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by No1_sonuk View Post
    Is it just on/off computer control you want? While it has digital inhibit, it looks to me like the speed control on that drive is a manual potentiometer input.
    They are principally servo controllers so they also accept any ±10vdc analogue controller signal.
    If you want bi-direction control from a single ended source similar to VFD with FWD/REV then it may take a little outboard logic to achieve it.
    I have been using these drives for around 20Yrs so I am fairly familiar with them albeit mostly in the servo usage.
    As I also mentioned they are just as adept as DC brushed controllers, although there is also a DC brushed version.
    I am willing to work with devers to try and make it work!.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by No1_sonuk View Post
    This controller does not have a speed potentiometer speed changes are handled through button presses (cell type buttons), it would probably be alot easier to accomplish this if that were the case, IIRC there is someone here that has already accomplished this with the brushless controller for the SX2 as it uses a potentiometer to control speed changes

JTCUSTOMS

"It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Downloads
    Uploads

What or how is the primary intention to control the spindle? Variable or stepped? Manual, Mach, EMC, Kflop?
    How is the speed control achieved now?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    They are principally servo controllers so they also accept any ±10vdc analogue controller signal.
    If you want bi-direction control from a single ended source similar to VFD with FWD/REV then it may take a little outboard logic to achieve it.
    I have been using these drives for around 20Yrs so I am fairly familiar with them albeit mostly in the servo usage.
    As I also mentioned they are just as adept as DC brushed controllers, although there is also a DC brushed version.
    I am willing to work with devers to try and make it work!.
    Al.
    Sorry for this very basic question but I am a newbie at all this stuff - is there any situation where you would want to run a mill spindle in reverse ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rigid or floating tapping for one.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

forgot about that one .....

Rigid or floating tapping for one.
    Al.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question for Sx3 owners

The 1kw motor shows 3600rpm, but the mill specs state 1750rpm spindle.
    Is there a 2:1 geared reduction on the top spindle speed?
    Or is it 1:1?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a reduction via belt drive on the SX3. I haven't counted the teeth, but it would appear to be about 2:1. I know some people have attempted to get higher spindle speed by using 2 identical pulleys for 1:1, or even reversing them to get 1:2.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a reduction via belt drive on the SX3. I haven't counted the teeth, but it would appear to be about 2:1. I know some people have attempted to get higher spindle speed by using 2 identical pulleys for 1:1, or even reversing them to get 1:2.
    Yes thanks, I just found it on another link, I managed to acquire a 1Kw Sieg SP motor so I can try a few things out this end.
    The down side to reversing pulleys is the consequent power reduction, you go from double to half.
    The 3600rpm seems a bit conservative for a BLDC motor.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes thanks, I just found it on another link, I managed to acquire a 1Kw Sieg SP motor so I can try a few things out this end.
    The down side to reversing pulleys is the consequent power reduction, you go from double to half.
    The 3600rpm seems a bit conservative for a BLDC motor.
    Al.
    Keep us posted - thanks !
    Lewis

Downloads
    Uploads

Sometimes, you just get tired of jacking with all this stuff and just do it the normal way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed Control For SX3 ?-dsc02181-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I assume that's a 3 phase motor on top with a VFD driving it. I have been very close to doing that same thing myself. If the external BLDC driver doesn't work out for whatever reason, I expect that's the route I will go. Surplus Center seems to have lots of 3 phase motors for good prices, but they all seem to be 56C mounting or larger - pretty big for an X3/SX3, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Sometimes, you just get tired of jacking with all this stuff and just do it the normal way.
    What's the specs on that motor?
    It looks far oversized - sort of like a '454 in a Volkswagen.
    Any problems hiking the Z axis up and down or the column/head nodding ?
    Any more close up pics?

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a D80 mount, 3/4HP 3400 RPM 3 Phase motor with a JNEV Teco 1HP VFD on it. I have it geared up for 6000 RPM and it does good.

No, the Z has no problems at all as far as lifting. A 1 HP motor gets a lot larger.

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to add the motor came from Surplus Center @ $35.00 and the VFD was around $140 and it's under Mach Control.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 1hp 56C 3 phase motor on my SX3, the Z axis has no problem hefting it around either. I believe my motor mount is 6" at its widest point
    I will be working on getting it under Mach control very soon, once my lathe conversion is together, shouldnt be to much hassle with the G540
    Its a baldor 1hp motor, 3450 rpm, coupled to a CV7300 Teco VFD

JTCUSTOMS

"It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast