Speed Control For SX3 ? - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Speed Control For SX3 ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Speed Control For SX3 ?

I'm interested in speaking with someone who has successfully used a XMT-SK interface with an Gecko G540 to drive an SX3, The pinout for the XMT-SK is not well described in the documentation I have. It appears as though the only pins that need to be active other than the 120vac input is the AVI (analog input) and F/R pin. The start/stop pin does not seem to be behaving the way I think it should. To further muddy the waters, I have seen 2 versions of powerboard/daughterboard combos and the pinout from the daughterboard to the XMT-SK is a little fuzzy as well. In short, I'd like someone to point me in a good direction before I fry the G540 ! Thanks, Pete

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)
    http://olduhfguy.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it must be difficult, as there have been a lot of posts and a board layout etc. On the face of it emulating whatever is sent to the processor from the key pad would not strike an amateur as being too difficult. Maybe the way forward is to buy a Motion Control drive and recoup some cost by selling on the Seig main board, there's enough to of us who have blown them up to be a market for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply- I have already repaired the board I currently have, and am attempting to build a full mock-up so I can easily and quickly repair more of the SX3 boards. I already have a test fixture for the SX2 (500 watt) boards as well as the boards for the smaller PMDC machines, and would like to add the SX3 to my list of capabilities As you probably know, there are 2 recent versions of the board, as well as some older ones and it is difficult/dangerous to repair them without an isolated power supply. However this is also true for the smaller controllers. I hope to be able to find a programmer that has reverse engineered the Atmel chips so I can obtain one with firmware that would gently step through the process of turning the IGBT's on and off one at a time for test purposes, to prevent the catastrophic failures that occur when one of them turns on/stays on when it isn't supposed to. Thanks to the secrecy of the Chinese engineers, it looks like the circuits/firmware will have to be reverse engineered just like their smaller cousins. -Pete

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pete,

I take it that you have the schematics posted on this forum for the SX3 boards if not let me know. Are you the same guy that adverstises on ebay ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish I did have official schematics - everything I have on the SX3 is reverse engineered - handwritten notes based on voltage/scope readings, etc. I think someone on this forum may have previously made up some power supply schematics. I know of 3 different versions of SX3 boards, and have seen 2 of them here. Sieg is very paranoid about releasing tech on their boards, and my attempts to get official info via a US dealer have led nowhere, probably because software and hardware piracy is rampant in China.

And yes, I'm the guy that has been repairing C2/X2/X3/SX2,SC2, etc.. machines for the last couple of years. I got into the game when John G. quit the first time, then he started again a few months after I started doing it. As far as I know he's quit for good as of Jan '16. -Pete (olduhfguy.com)

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)

Downloads
    Uploads

It' ashame, doesn't Sieg understand every time a company goes open source their product sales goes thru the roof. Linksys and DJI and everyone else that published code or API's only increase their sales because people feel much better when they can upgrade their own firmware and customize it to fit "their" needs. The only reason that Sieg won't is because they most likely either copied the code from someone else or some examples, or they're too embarrassed by all the elementary mistakes they made by a 13 year old junior programmer.

Come on Sieg, get real, you sort of try to build milling machines, and sort of try and write software. Focus on one or the other and let the real folks fix your screw ups, kind of like we have to do on the rest of the mill !!! For god's sake, ya still haven't fixed all the gib issues being machined to the incorrect angles !!!

Sorry guys, Rant over.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by olduhfguy View Post
    I wish I did have official schematics - everything I have on the SX3 is reverse engineered - handwritten notes based on voltage/scope readings, etc. I think someone on this forum may have previously made up some power supply schematics. I know of 3 different versions of SX3 boards, and have seen 2 of them here. Sieg is very paranoid about releasing tech on their boards, and my attempts to get official info via a US dealer have led nowhere, probably because software and hardware piracy is rampant in China.

And yes, I'm the guy that has been repairing C2/X2/X3/SX2,SC2, etc.. machines for the last couple of years. I got into the game when John G. quit the first time, then he started again a few months after I started doing it. As far as I know he's quit for good as of Jan '16. -Pete (olduhfguy.com)

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to add, they tried, but even their add-on cnc board for the SX3 sucks. Their logic doesn't even come close to the directions. It works, and it works fine, but don't try to follow their documentation. The programmer or document writer was not on the same page. I'm referring to the board sold by LMS.

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW I'm in the middle of a project involving the aforementioned interface - The start/stop pin doesn't seem to be working correctly, and I'm waiting on a second board to compare readings. After scoping/documenting it's going to be speaking to a G540 and then hopefully handed back to a customer for use in manufacturing. Fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    I forgot to add, they tried, but even their add-on cnc board for the SX3 sucks. Their logic doesn't even come close to the directions. It works, and it works fine, but don't try to follow their documentation. The programmer or document writer was not on the same page. I'm referring to the board sold by LMS.

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)

Downloads
    Uploads

All the boards are the same. Stop Start pin does not work. LMS is very aware of this. It's really not a problem because Mach quits sending a signal on the M5 command and the intercase will still stop. Upon a M3 or M4 the signal starts up again and the controller will start the spindle.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to mention, their controller is very linear for the speed input, BUT there top speed using that board is only 1700 RPM instead of 1800 if I remember correctly. The G540, unless they changed the RC network, it had some pretty serious dips in it's output when loaded with that board. I checked Mach3 output and it was fine, the interface board was fine, and the G540 was not fine. I tried 2 new G540's. It can all be compensated for using the speed calibrate function to auto calibrate, if you have an RPM signal coming back into Mach3.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting, very interesting. Does the start/stop issue exist when the interface is used with the SX2 as well ? Do any signals appear on the controller side of the interface board when the start/stop pin is activated ? I understand that this pin is not necessary to control speed (the analog input will do this), but it exists and should work as advertised. I will investigate further and share with LMS. I'll see if I can come up with, or make a table of analog voltage vs RPM assuming some preset position of the pot on the interface board. I want to stay on the hardware side of things and leave the CNC development to others, but I want to insure that the hardware tools all work as advertised. If this appears to be an issue with Atmel code, my position would be to encourage(?) Sieg to support/update/correct their products or put their code in public domain. -Pete

I forgot to mention, their controller is very linear for the speed input, BUT there top speed using that board is only 1700 RPM instead of 1800 if I remember correctly. The G540, unless they changed the RC network, it had some pretty serious dips in it's output when loaded with that board. I checked Mach3 output and it was fine, the interface board was fine, and the G540 was not fine. I tried 2 new G540's. It can all be compensated for using the speed calibrate function to auto calibrate, if you have an RPM signal coming back into Mach3.

Richard

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know anything about the SX2. I sold my SX3 last year so I don't have it to look at BUT, they may have changed something because I sure do not remember a trim pot on the board I had.
    It's funny that the display would show the correct RPM on the SX3 but a tach showed it to be 100 RPM low. This only occurred at wide open RPM. The tach was pretty much dead on on the rest of the speeds.

It was like they knew it was messed up and faked out the display even tho the actual RPM was way lower.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a picture of the one I am evaluating. It wouldn't surprise me if there were 2 or more versions !Speed Control For SX3 ?-bd-jpg

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a breakout board to test the signals between the XMT-SK and the motor control board. The problem with the START/STOP function is a missing jumper (See attached photo) that must be installed on the motor control board to activate the start/stop function. With the jumper in place there must be a ground on the START/STOP pin to enable the spindle motor.

Also - There is serial data present on one of the other lines that apparently represents the analog speed input voltage. More tests to follow...... -PeteSpeed Control For SX3 ?-sx3-jumper-jpg

All the boards are the same. Stop Start pin does not work. LMS is very aware of this. It's really not a problem because Mach quits sending a signal on the M5 command and the intercase will still stop. Upon a M3 or M4 the signal starts up again and the controller will start the spindle.

Richard

-Pete Brush (Olduhfguy)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by olduhfguy View Post
    I made a breakout board to test the signals between the XMT-SK and the motor control board. The problem with the START/STOP function is a missing jumper (See attached photo) that must be installed on the motor control board to activate the start/stop function. With the jumper in place there must be a ground on the START/STOP pin to enable the spindle motor.

Also - There is serial data present on one of the other lines that apparently represents the analog speed input voltage. More tests to follow...... -PeteSpeed Control For SX3 ?-sx3-jumper-jpg
    Pete were you able to get this working? Can you share the solution.

Also, might be a noob question but how can a tach signal be sent back to Mach3 from the SX3?

Screener

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SX3 Speed and Remote Control

Here's what I've been working on for the last year (or more):

Attachment 383151

Arduino Mega wired to a bit of Vero board with a 16 x 2 LCD display. On the left are the seven SX3 keypad switches (and one extra that does nothing), two switches are LOCAL/REMOTE and LOW/HIGH speed spindle select. (I eventually want to control a 24000 RPM spindle and VFD that I have, I'll get around to mounting it one day.)

The 0-10V pot for analog control should really be grouped with the three switches on the right which simulate the external inputs from a computer, STOP/RUN, FWD/REV and LOW/HIGH speed. Also accepts digital pulse input for frequency control.

Original idea was a board to go between the keypad and rear control board and send button pushes to achieve what the remote inputs requested but I went the overkill route with a keypad replacement board that can do all I want, for instance control of the fast spindle VFD from the keypad in LOCAL.

Software is coming along, not been easy but getting there. Local control emulates the standard keypad (and its limitations) exactly and works 99.99%, remote control has a few bugs requiring a bit of a rewrite.

At the bottom are the back and front views of the prototype PCBs I've had made (hope they fit).

So with a bit of luck and a few more hours I'll have it running.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567