Vacuum Pump From Compressor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pump From Compressor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vacuum Pump From Compressor

Greolt was the first, or one of the first, to describe converting a compressor to a vacuum pump.

We have an old two cylinder compressor that had been made redundant so when a need came to make a vacuum hold down for machining some 1/4" polycarbonate I coverted it to run as a pump.

Thre quarter copper now connects the inlets of the cylinders to the port at the top of the tank; the original intake filters are installed on the outlet ports as mufflers, which works very well. The vacuum outlet is on the side with a 3/4" ball valve and a length of swimming pool suction hose.

The vacuum platen is just fabricated out of 1/2" aluminum plate and bolts directly to the machine table. The height is needed because this is a Haas Super MiniMill with the raised Z axis so normal length tools will not reach closer than about 3 inches above the machine table. The aluminum platen is covered with a sacrificial polycarbonate with O-rings seals. At the front is a domestic water filter housing which acts as a primary trap for coolant that gets suckes into the system.

With the main tank ball valve closed the pump can pull 26 inches of negative pressure; with a part in place leakage means it stabilizes at about 22 inches.

The tank is 60 gallons and as is visible in the picture the compressor was rated at 12.5cfm. It can pull the tank down to 20 inches negative in about 45 seconds and it takes almost 2 minutes to get down to 25-26 inches which is more or less consistent with the rating. It had been used as a compressor for over two years. Initial purchase price was almost $800 but that had been effectively amortized over its use as a compressor so the vacumm pump only cost a few hours of work.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Pump From Compressor-vacuum1-jpg   Vacuum Pump From Compressor-vacuum2-jpg   Vacuum Pump From Compressor-vacuum3-jpg  
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of the trap for coolant- I wouldn't have thought of that! There's a guy in another thread saying he's getting problems with liquid freezing in his vacuum pipes. That trap would probably solve his problems- apparently his pipes freeze up with liquid and the vacuum fails to hold the part when machining which could be well dodgy!

Nice one Geof.

I'll point him to this thread.

[Edit]Here's his original thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53871
    [/Edit]

Last edited by ImanCarrot; 03-06-2008 at 06:14 AM.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Downloads
    Uploads

Geof How would this design compare to running a pump off compress air?

I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by automizer View Post
    Geof How would this design compare to running a pump off compress air?
    Much better.

I have used a venturi vacuum generator running of compressed air, the best it could pull was less than 20 inches and it needed something like 10 cfm of air to get maybe 6 cfm of vacuum flow.

If I had used this compressor to run the venturi it would have had to run 100% of the time and piston compressors are not rated for that, also I would have had less vacuum and less flow.

This conversion could run for eight hours without getting the cylinders warmer than could be touched with a bare hand.

Downloads
    Uploads

What pressure do you achieve with this rig?

Scott

Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras View Post
    What pressure do you achieve with this rig?

Scott
    I mentioned it above; negative 25 to 26 inches of mercury.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice, well thought with the coolant trap. Was this a trial and error, or just a brilliant design from the get go?

Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petriej View Post
    Nice, well thought with the coolant trap. Was this a trial and error, or just a brilliant design from the get go?
    A brilliant design from the get go of course! How dare you suggest otherwise.

Actually as I mentioned Greolt had already done a small compressor and I knew that you could easily pull up to 20 inches of vacuum on the intake manifold of a car engine. You are probably too young to remember/know about the vacuum operated windshield wipers on old Fords; I'm not. So I knew it had a good chance for success. The coolant trap was an obvious add-on to avoid filling the main tank with coolant.

Like most of my 'brilliant designs' it was based on trial and error, some mine some taken from others. I practise the C.A.S.E. approach; Copy And Steal Everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well Geof I am using your C.A.S.E approach here I have started this with a smaller compressor. So far my biggest problem is the guy I bought mine off of broke off one muffler and I can't get the old pipe out

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post

You are probably too young to remember/know about the vacuum operated windshield wipers on old Fords; I'm not. So I knew it had a good chance for success.

Oh yeah, I remember those old Fords. We had an old water truck with a 534 (3500 RPM redline) gas engine in it. Had a big old oil bath air filter (nasty) , the water pump was the size of a pumpkin and you could run your arm between the intake runners and the valley cover on the engine. Those old wipers were horrid, kind of slow to take off and then fast, sometimes difficult to get stopped where you wanted too. It had a five speed and a three speed brownie, talk about fun to shift with two different gear shifts. It eventually died, a hole in the piston lead to too much gas in the oil pan. We tried to start it and it blew the valve covers right off of the heads. The valve covers probably weighed about 40 lbs. Everything on that truck was big. Just the front axle could legally handle 10 tons.

Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

CASE & KISS, both great methods/ideas. Overly extra redundant?

Dick Z

DZASTR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    CASE & KISS, both great methods/ideas. Overly extra redundant?

Dick Z
    I like retarded overkill.

On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vacuum clamp gasket material

Does anyone have a source of gasket matl similar to the one V-Clamp uses?
    I want to use 1/4" diameter O-Ring cord stock, but I'm afraid the material sold at McMaster Carr might be to hard and not compress

Downloads
    Uploads

Try some window screen spline. There are different types some are like a stiff foam while others are tube-like. Check your local hardware store.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, the vacuum stuff on cars is not that old.

My 1980 Mercedes Benz has vacuum central locking, worse than a loaf of bread in the rain. Gonna fit electric central locking solenoids one day ....soon.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Me too.

I just worked on a Benz 10 years younger than handlewankers, and it suck stuff in it too. Headlight tilt, door locks, and probably other stuff too.
    Cute color coded hoses.
    The FJ Holden, circa 1949-1950 had wipers that slowed when you accelerated, and went mad on the over-run.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HAHAHAHA
    Vacuum wipers, the very first variable speed wipers. Apply gas pedal and they slow way down, let off gas and they speed up like crazy. In a heavy rain or snow, it made keeping steady with traffic quite a venture !
    The vacuum system you've got there is really quite nice, and the tank is a great advantage for having instantaneous response at the fixture !

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jvarga View Post
    Does anyone have a source of gasket matl similar to the one V-Clamp uses?
    I want to use 1/4" diameter O-Ring cord stock, but I'm afraid the material sold at McMaster Carr might be to hard and not compress
    I got a roll of 1/4" round weather sill at Home Depot that works like a champ. One side is flat with glue on it that I just cleaned off and the round side fits perfect in a 1/4" grove. Once vacuumed, the part stays stuck to it and the vacumm pump does not need to work all the time. I have searched and searched and everyone that has it is way too overpriced for a simple epdm foam tubing. It's like they invented a wheel or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Geof I have finally finished my pump. I went a bit more extreme then you have. I ended up building a hybrid design that incoperates a high volume side and a high pressure side, all self regulating. I will post up some pictures and a description latter tonight.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pictures and description

Hi automizer,

Did you ever get a chance to take the pictures and put together a description of what you did on your system?

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast