Problem Require clamping advice for Parts requiring parallelism 0.012

Thread: Require clamping advice for Parts requiring parallelism 0.012

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Require clamping advice for Parts requiring parallelism 0.012

Hi Everyone,
    Glad to be here

We are manufacturing a component named as Flange (Refer Image 1). The customer requirement is that COMPONENT parallelism should be within 0.012 mm (12 microns). The clamping details are mentioned below -
    Green Color – is the Component
    Yellow Color – is a Soft piece welded to the Moveable jaws
    Grey Color – These are the Moveable jaws mounted on the chuck

It has been noticed after machining, that the COMPONENT Parallelism is found above 0.025 mm

As elaborated in Image 2, the red marked surface is the resting surface.I think that the parallelism is not achieved because the resting surface is more & possibility is that due to excess surface wear & tear is more & hence it is degrading the COMPONENT parallelism.

To reduce the resting area, I have a proposal of reducing the resting area by providing a PAD (marked in blue color) as shown in Figure 3.

I really require opinion from all your veteran machinist that –
    # Can I Achieve Parallelism within 0.012 mm by providing such pads?
    # Is any other process/method in which I can do localized hardening process on the Pads (on the CNC Machine itself),to reduce the wear & tear of the resting surface ?
    # Any other solution such as automatic resting loader or sort of?

Thanks
    Ashish