Need Help! Difficult to locate/fix part due to die casting draft

Thread: Difficult to locate/fix part due to die casting draft

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Difficult to locate/fix part due to die casting draft

Hey folks,

I have a difficult to hold part that's causing me all sorts of headaches. Its running currently, however due to my lack of ability to constrain the part repeatably every cycle needs to be probed for an A axis offset and 4 datums, resulting in over two minutes of additional cycle time per part.

The feature I'm (trying to) locate off looks like this:

Because this part is die cast, besides the flat circular surface being flat, everything has a draft angle. The center bore and the three clearance holes inclusive. Right now its being pinned into the three bores to the smallest diameter of the taper, but it still does not locate accurately enough to work without probing.

Do you have any suggestions on how to locate this part? I'm thinking of some sort of tapered expanding plug and a positive stop that I can offset just once at the moment. Any suggestions for tooling or other methods of holding are welcome.

EDIT 1

I've pulled the taper specs from the CMM and am attempting to make a tapered pin that will rest inside the bore and locate somewhere along the taper, but ride in a precision spring-loaded slip fit. It's a total hack at this point, but if it works I'll get it ground and hardened. We'll see, I guess.