Got a better way to do this setup?

Thread: Got a better way to do this setup?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Got a better way to do this setup?

Like to hear or see how you guys (would) hold this piece.

I know there is probably a better way.

Due to lack of time I had to settle with some angle that was .375 but the drawing calls for .25

Simply putting the vise on hard jaws wasn't enough. I got minor chatter on the left end so I through this together to hold it. That solved that problem.

Because the 5 inch span in the Y, I got some chatter on the far right middle of the work pc. I reduced the chatter there by changing my facing passes in the Y.

I should mention I orginally was going to use a 2", I quickly decided 1/2 EM was the way to move foward after trying one pass with the 2".

What could I have done or tried differently?

Thanks for the feedback.

Got a better way to do this setup?-uploadfromtaptalk1444787467464-jpgGot a better way to do this setup?-uploadfromtaptalk1444787502659-jpgGot a better way to do this setup?-uploadfromtaptalk1444787535991-jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Got a better way to do this setup?

Looks like something I have been trying to figure out.

Do you have a long end-mill if so you might try milling the inside and leaving the outside alone. For example arrange your vice with soft jaws like you have it except put the moving soft jaw on the outsideholes that way your part has the base large part of moving jaw under it. Next flip your part so the angle is angled upwards and mill the inside of the angle and not the outside. Got a better way to do this setup?-kurt-vice-render-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Got a better way to do this setup?

I would have left the vise on the table, (nice and solid there) and made some tall vise jaws.

Actually I already have them. Mine are 1" thick cold-rolled milled flat/ square. I have used them ALOT!

Then a couple 1-2-3's under the angle, mill flip done!