Poor Man's Vacuum Pump - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor Man's Vacuum Pump

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Poor Man's Vacuum Pump

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I pretty much finished my vacuum pump system today and added a vacuum reservoir (total 10 feet of 4" pipe), a vacuum regulator, intake filter and exhaust muffler. Much less noise (about 80 dBA) with the muffler, which is a baffled sandwich plate, packed with rags under the supercharger mounting plate. With the garage door closed I should be O.K.

Next step would be making a few vacuum pods and the connection plumbing.

Complete Vacuum System:

"Muffler Plate":

Vacuum bypass regulator and intake filter:
    Hi Jerry, Just looking through the big bamboo thread of yours. some excellent achievements there, Good job.

Loving this alternative to a side channel blower. Have you got a video with is running with mufflers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    For what you're going to spend, you'd probably be better off buying two of these.
    ShopBot Vacuum Motors
    These look like vacuum cleaner motors to me, generate a lot of heat and noise i bet.

I would really like to build one of these , sure would like to have more photos if possible and how do you like the performance years later?As much info as possible.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chuckeroocharle View Post
    I would really like to build one of these , sure would like to have more photos if possible and how do you like the performance years later?As much info as possible.
    Thanks
    Well, this gadget is sitting under my CNC table unused. There is nothing wrong with it and it works very well but even with a muffler I can not responsibly run it in my residential quiet neighborhood. I was thinking of selling it but it is very heavy and that would only make sense locally.

I found a good alternative with the small double piston rocker pumps (Gast or Thompson) that are available refurbished for ~$120 on eBay. I have 2 of them running, they are quiet and will handle all my vac pod needs. However, these small pumps can not do vacuum through a spoilboard or hold very leaky material like mdf.

Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

fun build!
    nice craftsmanship.

not sure why a Venturi vacuum generator from Mcmaster wouldn't work for $100. Assuming good compressed air is available.
    works great in metal cutting.

must be your holding down porous materials in a router application. . answered my own question(?)

Well i live in the houston area are we remotely close ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    fun build!
    nice craftsmanship.

not sure why a Venturi vacuum generator from Mcmaster wouldn't work for $100. Assuming good compressed air is available.
    works great in metal cutting.

must be your holding down porous materials in a router application. . answered my own question(?)
    The usual way of vacuum clamping large sheets (without gaskets) is through a porous MDF spoilboard and that requires huge vacuum power. 20hp pumps are not unusual for large, e.g. 4x8ft machines. For my smaller machine I guess the 3hp pump would have been sufficient but as mentioned way too loud.

For that reason I use separate vacuum pods with gaskets that can run on a quiet low volume high vacuum pump. The typical ones with GAST or Thompson brand name are available refurbished for little money on eBay. A venturi would work as well for pods but they are extremely energy-inefficient and sometimes also very noisy.

Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chuckeroocharle View Post
    Well i live in the houston area are we remotely close ?
    Probably not. I am in Pasadena, CA not TX. I would have to crate it up and send by truck freight or brake it down and ship in separate boxes. May be too expensive.
    I have about $400 in the components and material (new 3hp motor, the supercharger, some lumber and pipe) and suspect the shipping is another $100-150.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12