Linear-with-Angle CAM clamps [8-up, STL file]

Thread: Linear-with-Angle CAM clamps [8-up, STL file]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Linear-with-Angle CAM clamps [8-up, STL file]

Warning: I HAVEN'T CUT THESE!

But I offer them for comment. They're 8-of-a-kind, ~2" diam by 4" long by 1/2" thick, with a 5/16" diam bolt hole and 3/16" pocket for a 1" washer and bolt head.

Frustrated with not finding a pile of designs for clamps to hold down material, I designed these 1/2"-thick sideways CAM clamps which feature a linear change of displacement with the angle of rotation. (It just means that the clamp starts off 1" away from the material to be clamped at 0-degree rotation, and increases linearly to 1-3/4" at 135-degrees.

I added tabs to hold the parts--but THIS IS MY FIRST DESIGN AND WHAT DO I KNOW?

Without cutting them, I don't know if there's going to be enough friction to hold--for my purposes, however, I hasten to add, I'm going to be using them with that 15# "sign-foam."

Consider: I designed it in Google SketchUp v8, and exported the attached (ASCII) STL file with a 3rd-party plug-in. However, I then used the fine program MeshCAM to generate credible G-code for it, which CutViewer-Mill successfully simulated.

My dream is to see it in maple or hickory--but MY home-built machine cast its vote against hardwood, and then did its level best to cast the hardwood. (It has rickety joints so I can sure sympathize.) I am going to try maple again--but after applying dampers to my steppers to see if I can get the feed rates up, and then sneaking up on it.

Fwiw,
    Cheers,
    The zane of cnc