Wooden Clock Gears - Page 4

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Clock Gears

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone. I'll have to look into this more. Also, dan, that cnc site you typed in doesn't seem to be working....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power Supply

look under the classifieds heading and on the first row of adds you will see a transformer, there is where I found it, He is member TCR3630, hope this will help, allso good luch on your build.
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a newbie clock what-ta-be builder. I'd like to try something simple. I'm not a craftsman, more of a clunker. Anyway, I'm looking at some of the clock pictures, and I'm wondering what materials are the gears made from. I see some plywood, and I think I see some MDF too.

Is MDF ok for gears?

dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wooden gears

Dave
    I use to make wooden clocks by hand, and for the gears - I use Baltic Birch, both 1/4 and some 3/8 This is the only wood that I found that is afordable that will work, the rest of the clock I would use Red Oak or Walnut or what ever depending on the look I wanted - Do not PAINT the gears, I have put oil on them, but it is better to leave them natural.
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Is MDF ok for gears?
    I used MDF just as a test cut and would never use it in a clock but it would not do any harm to cut parts from MDF just to be sure it all fits together.

Dan covers things quite nicely.

John

www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

I seen this work in the scrollsaw magazine. I like it and will be adding to my things to make after my table is done. http://wooden-clockworks.com/MLT-7&10.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Clock Gears-mlt-7-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    I'm a newbie clock what-ta-be builder. I'd like to try something simple. I'm not a craftsman, more of a clunker. Anyway, I'm looking at some of the clock pictures, and I'm wondering what materials are the gears made from. I see some plywood, and I think I see some MDF too.

Is MDF ok for gears?

dave
    Many clock plans specify 1/2 inch Baltic birch plywood. It is a high quality plywood with many thin layers. The inner layers are specified to be void-free. The outer layer is average looking compared to other wood species and considerably better looking than MDF.

The cost is maybe $2-3 per square foot from specialty stores or mail-order. It is definately worth it when you consider the amount of time you will spend building the clock.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dan dimock View Post
    Do not PAINT the gears, I have put oil on them, but it is better to leave them natural.
    Dan
    Surely if they are sealed with some type of varnish they'll perform better than if they might expand/contract.....Why not paint them?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to build the "worlds Simplest Clock" I think you all have seen this mechanism. Well, I'm going to try my CNC skills on this project. Get my feet wet.

Now a question for you folks that know this project. How is this clock wound? It seems that to wind it, the large diameter gear would have to turn. But this gear is in contact with the pendulum. So it can't turn. What am I missing?

Is the spool and the large gear glued together?

My other question is about the little 8 tooth gear. Does this gear do any thing in this mechanism? It seems that its just for show. Yes/no?

Thanks for looking.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

The 8 tooth gear is only useful if you want to finish the clock and add hour and minute hands.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MDF and Wood clock gear finishes

I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule regarding finishing the wooden gears or pinions of a clock. Some will recommend no finish, while others have been using epoxy to stabilize the wood with good result.
    Using MDF for your project is acceptable provided you design with it's use in mind.
    Since you are already familiar with Gary Gresham's work, look at his links re: Brian Law's clock plans, he uses MDF for gears.
    Go through Clayton Boyer's site to a link for Rabbit's clocks, he regularly puts finish on his gears according to one of his posts in the Clock Forum. There is so much info on the web about building wooden clocks, one just need look.
    The Clock Forum is at:http://www.bealltool.com/clockforum/index.php
    just my $0.02
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've started cutting gears for my first clock. But all these parts are plastic (as my first attempt). Really I just want to mount a few gears and get the escapement working. This is fun stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Clock Gears-dsc06724-jpg   Wooden Clock Gears-dsc06725-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Those gears look kinda cool made out of plastic, now you have to post them in the plastic clock gear thread

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Great work

Dave;

Did you draw these, are was there a site where they could be downloaded? I would like to try making one of these.
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dan,
    The dxf files are available on Gary's Clock website. You will also find them in CNCzone.com somewhere too.

The plan calls out gears of various thickness'. So far, I've used a single thickness, .472 inches. That's a lot thicker then the plans prescribe. I'll have to make adaptations to the spindles to accomodate.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wooden Works Clocks

I posted my message in the wrong section before I realized there was a major section dealing with wooden works clocks. My website which was designed for folks just getting started at http://www.woodenworksclocks.com doesn't have anything much to add to the wide discussion I've just read through here but it might provide answers to a few of the questions from those folks who are just getting started.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice site bobbytbird, I got a few laughs reading through it

I really must get going and make a start on a clock myself. (Time is ticking... well not yet really lol)

Cheers!!

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bobbytbird View Post
    I posted my message in the wrong section before I realized there was a major section dealing with wooden works clocks. My website which was designed for folks just getting started at http://www.woodenworksclocks.com doesn't have anything much to add to the wide discussion I've just read through here but it might provide answers to a few of the questions from those folks who are just getting started.
    Super wibsite. A wealth of information with lots of little words we can all understand. Thanks so much for bringing clock making down to the average person.

Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bobbytbird View Post
    A Super Website. A wealth of information with lots of little words we can all understand, and so many useful links. Thanks so much for bringing clock making down to the average person.

Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Super Site;

I am working on building a small cnc unit as I had some health problem and cannot use a scroll saw any longer.

Dan

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast