3dprintforums logo

CNCzone Network:  RFQwork :: 3Dprintforums :: Welderzone :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Twitter :: SiteMap

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Clock Gears

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Nice work Tony, I'd definately like the DXF's, you guys are using metric right ?

I can scale it if not, but its so much easier (for me at least)

Cheers.
    Russell.
    Russell,

Yep we in the UK have been metric for many years now (still think in imperial sometimes however). I will zip up all the cleaned DXF's and post

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Also, can you sell those clocks after building them or do the plans exclude that?
    They do preclude selling, but I guess there is nothing to stop you developing your own design on his excellent plans

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Clock 1 cleaned up .dxf files

All,

As promised here are the cleaned up .dxf files, think they are all there if not let me know and I will do my best to provide the missing ones

Tony

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cheers Tony, I was kinda hoping you would take a while to post the dxf's, I have more projects that I can handle at the moment...

I will have a look on the weekend, I am making some alterations to my machine soon and might wait until thats done then tackle a clock, it will cut a lot faster once "upgraded".

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting Tony.

Jason

I still can't see the photos....

Hi all,

Very interesting thread; Iíve been thinking of making a clock myself and did a simple cog as a test with my cnc router. The cog came out spot on but it is only cut from 6mm MDF.
    I have a question to anyone who has completed a wooden clock; does it keep good time?

I have attached a couple of pictures of the cog I made and added a video to wet the appetite of new cnc builders. I used a 6.3mm and 2mm cutter in the vid.

John

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IIns3qbibc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IIns3qbibc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2-jpg   -4-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The pendulum and escapement will determine the accuracy of the clock. Clock gears are always 100% accurate for timekeeping. The weight of wooden gears will make the escapement less efficient since there is more mass that needs to be started and stopped on each tick. This might affect the accuracy.

Wood should make a relatively accurate pendulum since it has low thermal expansion. It needs to be sealed to keep the humidity from affecting the length, although most expansion will be in the width rather than the length.

btw: nice looking gear.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    I looked at the carvewright first, but it's too restrictive and limits one's experience with CNC. I only see that machine to be somewhat useful for maybe hobbiests but nothing more. Some of the DIY designs on the zone could be built for cheaper or the same price and produce commercial grade results.
    The right tool for the right job.

The CarveWright is only limited by the knowledge of the user. It's very useful, and many professional shops are using it now (they've shipped over 5,000 machines).

There are no DIY designs on the zone that can be built for the price of the CarveWright (Sears is selling it under the Craftsman name as the Compucarve, and it's on sale occasionally (like right now, again) for $1699 to Craftsman Club members) anywhere on the zone with new parts ... and, when you consider that the CarveWright / Compucarve machine comes with a warranty, well ... it can't be matched here.

Not slamming other machines, but correcting some misinformation I keep seeing posted about the Compucarve machines.

And I can build a CNC machine with the Compucarve, if I need to go that route.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    TonyWood,
    The dxf files you offered won't open with TurboCAD LE. I get a File format error-Line 0.

Does anyone know how I can get around this error?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    The right tool for the right job.

The CarveWright is only limited by the knowledge of the user. It's very useful, and many professional shops are using it now (they've shipped over 5,000 machines).

There are no DIY designs on the zone that can be built for the price of the CarveWright (Sears is selling it under the Craftsman name as the Compucarve, and it's on sale occasionally (like right now, again) for $1699 to Craftsman Club members) anywhere on the zone with new parts ... and, when you consider that the CarveWright / Compucarve machine comes with a warranty, well ... it can't be matched here.

Not slamming other machines, but correcting some misinformation I keep seeing posted about the Compucarve machines.

And I can build a CNC machine with the Compucarve, if I need to go that route.

Your pal,
    Meat.
    Thats what is great about diy cnc, you never need a warranty, when you build it yourself.

The CarveWright looks like an expensive novelty item.

I doubt it supports g-code.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    TonyWood,
    The dxf files you offered won't open with TurboCAD LE. I get a File format error-Line 0.

Does anyone know how I can get around this error?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Try the .dxf converter from www.a9tech.com

Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodworker/2010.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast