MDF Racing car simulator project. - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MDF Racing car simulator project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here we go
    input please

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Benny
    This is what I was talking about

http://www.prsco.com/

specifically the R-series rotapod.

I remember going to a trade show and they had a hydraulic simulator of a V8 Supercar (non Aussies check out this racing class its really cool) where about 10 people all sat in an enclosed room and watched the screen as it threw us around like dolls. It was a mega ride and it actually felt like you were accelerating, decelerating and pulling g's. From outside the ride it didn't look like anything special at all, motion wise at least. Something that could be done with a rotapod and for one person only I would think is quite possible.

Cheers

derekj308

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt, you have done exceptionally well. I like what you have done, especially in terms of the cheap seat. This can be the basic option. ( Makes it affordable and upgradable)
    We can get MD is 10mm and 12mm. I think it would be best to use the 12 though. As for the rounded edges, I think that is best done with a hand router after the cutting is done.

Could you either post a solidworks exe of your work, or the drawing file. This way we could have a look at it in its entirety. Preferable the exe, means others can see it too without having to downlaod the viewer. I would be interested to see how the whole thing looked together, from all angles.

Derek, I would love to do the rotapod thing, looks very expensive though ? Way outa my budget. However it is fun to think about the possibilities. Keep posting ideas.

Cerialkiller ( good name BTW. I would like to kill King Willy Wheaty, or at least knee cap Snap, Crackle, and Pop. That damn Co Co pop monkey needs a serious slappin too) The suggestion of the air bags is a good idea. How would you go about implementing it ?

I am glad you guys revived this thread. I think that once the work is done, there will be quite a few who will build them. I know I will be willing to cut them for local people, at cost plus a small payment for time.

Keep the input going, Its not that far till we get to see a prototype.

Benny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How involved do you want this to become? There's a relatively low cost way to get a low level G-force perception. Lots of work has been done on what cues people use in assessing their environment, and this seems to be a natural for subtle visual/balance cues.

It won't have the zing of a "fall off on the floor" tilting platform, but it would have some effect and it's reasonably cheap and DIY-able.

Tiger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the thickness i have used is 15 mil i will change to 12 tomorrow and post the file. how can i post an exe of a drawing? anyway i am drunk now so i will continue at a later date.
    I am thinking the rotapod could be done with steppers? it would only take a round internal gear and some programming to achieve this. it looks to be a much better option than air bags in terms of noise and quality of the simulation. would the control for this be taken from the controllers or output from the game?

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

how can i post an exe of a drawing?
    I dont have the program but I do know it can be done. See if there is an option in the file section. Could be under save as or export, its there I know, but just not where.
    15 mil i will change to 12 tomorrow
    At least I can do a test cut at 12mm and see if it will be strong enough. If not we will have to change this.

How involved do you want this to become?
    Tiger, personally I dont want it too involved, however since this is an open source project, anyone can suggest or add to it as they liked. Please post details of what you know.

Benny

Downloads
    Uploads

Benny - just wonderin' will the cockpit have a speedo/tach etc? Some of the flight sims folks are building are pretty tricked out using all sorts of bits (usb interfaced A2D etc) to bring more realism to the environment. I suppose there is no end to the possibilities as an open source project. Cool idea and apporach.
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The basic idea is very simple. Run a capstan cable drive off the back side of the steeringwheel shaft, through a few cheap pulleys and to L shaped levers mounted on the side panels. Long arm of the lever attaches to cable, pivot at corner of L. When the steeringwheel turns, appropriate side of the chassis is levered up just a bit... 1/4 inch is plenty.

It all integrates in the mind... accelerating in the onscreen curve, slight visual and inner ear cues from the 1/4 inch tipping. The mind tries to reconcile the assorted magnitudes and it "feels" real. Not only is this cheap, it has the added benefit of force feedback on the steeringwheel which magnifies the effect still more

I forget what all the different cue sizes have to be for the effect, but it's not that hard to track down, since it's part of the aerospace medical experiments on pilot disorientation.

Tiger

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, I dont plan to have guages, however I intend to have a low frequancy rumble pad bolted to the car, I recon this will give you a feeling of power.

White tiger, what you have suggested has an irony about it. We all start thinking about motors, actuators, etc, Your suggestion IS simple cheap and would work well. I must admit b4 you mentioned this, I was not going to try and make movement of the car, But I think you have hit the nail on the head. Yep I will give that a go for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    White tiger, what you have suggested has an irony about it. We all start thinking about motors, actuators, etc...
    I'm a cheapskate at heart. I always look for the least costly way and as you mentioned, it gets ironic how often cheap is not only just as good but occasionally better than the cutting edge whizbang expensive way

Tiger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i would think a wheel like off of an old boat with a cable steering system would work for this but i am not sure how it would be implemented with a game controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey gang - it's always more fun to DIY - but if you wanted to BUY one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/indy-...spagenameZWDVW

Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah....Benny's dead project is being pumped up......*chuckle*

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah....Benny's dead project is being pumped up......*chuckle*
    Maybe we should call this the "Lazarus Racer"

You see the title of this thread is "Who wants to HELP me make one" no help, no progress. But if all help, all will win, I am happy to guinee pig the test cuts at my own expense even if they fail, but unfortunately I am crap at CAD hence the request for a team.
    The end result will be a set of plans for all who want to make one.
    But to win, the team must play.

In reality its not that far to seeing success.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thickness 12 mm radii 6mm
    also added supports under seat and behind back.

here is the solidworks files for what i have so far.

Matt

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE

most recent version below
    what else is needed on this?
    i am thinking the dimensions need to be checked to make sure they look good. (mm)
    might need another piece around where the wheel will be.
    what else?

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Racing car simulator project.-cheet_sim6-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-cheet_sim7-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-cheet_sim8-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-cheet_sim9-jpg  

MDF Racing car simulator project.-cheet_sim10-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by keebler303; 03-06-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the wheel console "desk" needs to be about 30cm closer to the seat back. After converting to imperial I grabbed a tape measure and checked and my fingertips would just about reach the near edge of the top surface where the wheel would sit (that's with my arms full extended and measuring from the seatback of my chair).

A comfortable reach distance with arms in a driving posture would be around 60-65cm for me, and I'm close to "average size".

Tiger

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt, you have done an excellent job. I am very inpressed.

I dont know If I agree with you Tiger. Did you consider the wheel will stick out from the desk by close to 30cm ?

This sort of project cannot be designed on the computer alone since it has to take into account the human body and how it fits, etc.

The next step is to post up the seperate components as dxf files so I can cut it out.
    This way I can assemble it and give some feedback about design tweaking.

I expect I may need to cut two protos be we get it right. I will have it cut and assembled within 24 hours of you posting the dxfs.

I will post lots of pictures of how it looks as well as design comments suggestions.

Already I can envisage getting in and out to be a Houdini trick. I think the steering wheel platform will need to hinge up. I will do this on the proto.

I havnt even considered about a platform for those who will be using a monotor instead of a projector. I guess we should also make that an optional cut.

I look 4ward to those dxfs. Expect 24 hours for the pictures after that.

This job is moving well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh just one ore thought. Could you reshape the arm rests so that they allow the shoulders of users not to hit them. Only fillet out around the shoulder area and leave the rest. What do you think ?

Downloads
    Uploads

The files are looking good Matt

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast