MDF Racing car simulator project. - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MDF Racing car simulator project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Benny,
    Got a mate with one of those sims, I too have been keen to cut some out omy router so I spent some time yesterday drawing one up ,although not yet finished will be soon.
    Only problem is my router is 1500 X 1500 and the sides are 1700 long, have to cut the sides on an angle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Racing car simulator project.-simstyle1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well Jonathon, why dont you email me the parts as dxf and let me cut them too.

I went down to a local computer shop yesterday and got some measurements.

My machine will look different, however I did need a general idea of sizes so as to give me a start.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Racing car simulator project.-measurments2-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-measurments-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-seat-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will do, Just got to convert to DXF's.
    Yeah the one i copied is a variant of the one you have measured, it doesnt have the hinge, maybe I should incorperate this as it would make the side parts smaller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some more pics, and my pathetic attempt at a redesign

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Racing car simulator project.-dcp03465-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-dcp03469-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-dcp03470-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-dcp03471-jpg  

MDF Racing car simulator project.-clipboard-gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ynneb; 07-28-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some other variations.

Ive also nearly finished my first prototype. I will cut it in a few days and post the results.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Racing car simulator project.-im_home_top-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-raceframe-gold-w-bg-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

benny.

it may be late, but a good suggestion would be to start with pencil and paper drawings... sit in a reclining position and have someone measure you and get a 'human form factor' database started.. get a few measurements from different people, and also try and get some measurements from a real car or race car.. or several.. this kind of basic research could help you build a superior design - allow you to maybe even improve the ergonomics of the design you are referencing.. reverse engineering dosent always have to mean an inferior copy, but can also lead to an innovative redesign.

there is a great book about designing for human bodies, 'The Measure of Man & Woman' writen by the famous architect Henry Dreyfus.. It is a standard among car and chair designers, and the like.. And well done. A great book for any designer who might work with human factors. (like me, im a product designer)

I might be interested in helping with such a project.. maybe not too much ,but i would help do the final solid model if you provide reasonable drawings and measurements.. the 3d models from solidworks can be very usefull for part-fit verification and other such things..

i ask again - has your machine proven profitable? has your wife threatened to leave if you dont stop obsessing over homemade industrial robotics? my ex-gf, an extremely talented artist got frustrated with me for always reading engineering books when i should have been reading artforum magazine....

Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default link to dreyfus book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...415573-4009403

a link to the dreyfus book i mentioned.

Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Downloads
    Uploads

Vaccy, you've made a good point about hand drawing, in actual fact I am drawing life size on a home made white board.

BTW, I came up with this great idea for a cheap white board. I bought 2 rolls of clear book covering contact plastic and laminated the whole study wall with it. ( White wall) I now have a 2m x 2.4 white board on the wall. In indellable texta I have put measured grid lines on the board ( They will not wipe off) I find it much easier to design in real size and with an easy to rub off marker. ( Kids love it too, they can legally grafitti as much as they want.)

Any how, I got my 6 foot son to sit in a racing position beside the board, while holding the wheel and pedals, and I traced around him just to get an idea of actual posture shapes, and dimentions. Thishas given me some really good guide lines for the design.
    I am in the process of transfereing this to CAD.

Yes I always remember you as the Solidworks man. I would love it if you did create a model for me from my 2d CAD entries. I have a local mate who is also helping me with using a similar program too, but the learning curve using it is a bit much for an oldie like myself. ( No not 89, but feel that way)
    i ask again - has your machine proven profitable?
    The reason I was hesitant to answer that question is because i have really good times of profitability, and then go for weeks or months with really bad times. Ask me on a good week, and ill tell you I can cut $800 bucks of work in a day while sitting on my computer surfing the internet and changing sheets every 10 minutes or so. Ask me on a bad week and thats all I do..... sit on the internet

Thanks for the link to the dreyfus book. I probably wont buy it, I recon I will figure out this design anyhow.

Thanks for your offer of help for the 3d work. I will take you up on that

Downloads
    Uploads

Benny,
    You might like to look into Racing Kart Seats as a cheaper alternative for your Simulator. These are usually heavy Fabric over GlassFibre construction, light and very sturdy.

Skype me on imagineeringnz
    ----------------------------
    Intuitor: (noun)
    A person with a passion for learning and innovating that is so strong it is often more powerful than the desire to eat, sleep or seek personal wealth.
    Ummm . . . Guilty as charged.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just wondering how the simulator is coming along?

Downloads
    Uploads

ynneb....just a suggestion...haven't seen it posted.....I would base my design on one of the racing seats that is in every automotive magazine.....off the shelf parts are very important to off-the-shelf approaches......

Downloads
    Uploads

ynneb....I would also look at surplus hydraulics and some automotive coil springs to give you the bump and go simulation.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

benny
    if you are still interested i am pretty good with solidworks and i am in college so i have plenty of homework i can put off to draw. i love drawing stuff in solidworks. when i had a broken leg i made a model of my girlfriends ceiling fan! anyway if you still have interest and have some decent drawings of the design i would be willing to work on a model.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

An excellent offer. I will post the dxfs for the side panels once I find them. I will cut out and build the car once we are finished so as to test it for size and function. Once its all complete we will post the gcode for the design in this thread.
    Thanks so much Matt.

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt desregard the other stuff in the file but use the sides as a guide. You should be able to sort out the rest from the measurments on the pictures I previously posted.
    Be as creative as you like. Post lots of progress shots and we can openly discuss the project on here.

BTW. I have a program that can read Solidworks files. Its freely availiable so post the working files if you want.

Good onya chum.

EDIT; I would offer to cut you a car for free when its finished, but I think postsage to the states would be prohibitivly big. Ill see If I can line up a local guy to do you one if you want. ( No promises though)

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Benny
    Maybe theres some one out there who will donate a rotapod for you to shoehorn under your simulator. Now that would be a K.A. simulator.

derekj308

Downloads
    Uploads

Derek, I presume by rotapod you mean something to tilt the car as you drive it?
    Sounds great. I wonder if anyone would like to come up with a design suggestion for one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Benny
    i'll take a look at the files and get started this afternoon. as for cutting out one for free, my dad has a shopbot so i believe that could already be managed. i appreciate the offer though.

Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Benny
    As mententioned before, have you considered adding a airbag suspension kit to the sim. I think with some fancy wiring you could have the sim. tilt left and right as you turn for the corners, and raise and lower the front and rear on acceleration and deceleration. (Something you may want to offer as a High End model!) I think if you were going to design a system like this (airbags) it would be better to do it from the start. Even if you don't use the airbags system you could have a design that would allow for future upgrades.
    (Just a thought)

I have built my own Mame Arcade, just need to put the final touches on like the marquee and front bezel and will probably have to build another for a co-worker. But I have also thought about a racing sim and how cool it would be to have one. So, I'll probably be add this project to my todo list, someday.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

benny

what are standard thicknesses for MDF etc. in your neck of the woods?
    also standard roundover bits. i want to do everything in SI but I need common sizings on these items.

cerealkiller

i think the air bag thing would work but if it were quick enough to be realistic i would think it would be annoyingly noisy. not to mention having an air compressor in the living room.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast