Anyone tried O-flutes on Wood? How about ZRN coating?

Thread: Anyone tried O-flutes on Wood? How about ZRN coating?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone tried O-flutes on Wood? How about ZRN coating?

I know the conventional wisdom: some people have good experience with O-flutes cutting wood, particularly down cutting O-flutes, but I'm wondering if anyone has actual experience and perhaps favors O-flute over the traditional straight router bits. Hardwood and softwood. (I know it'll work great for plastic and aluminum)

Also, has anyone actually tried ZRN coated tools on wood? I know ZRN is recommended only for aluminum, and any coating is likely to reduce the sharpness of the tip, but I'm interested in if anyone has actually tested ZRN coated tools on non-aluminum materials such as hardwoods or plastics and actually found that it caused problems.

Since I'm going to be cutting soft material, I'm trying to save some money on tooling if possible and focus on O-flute cutters. The longevity of ZRN coated cutters in wood and plastic is also very interesting to me. If ZRN coating would actually REDUCE the life of a cutter for some reason in those materials, I'd like to know why.

Appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone tried O-flutes on Wood? How about ZRN coating?

Onsrud makes some tooling for engineered-wood-products with coatings.

I actually favor o-flute tooling on hardwoods, particularly the upcut single edge spiral-o-flutes in 1/4", 1/8", and 1/16", where chip evacuation can be a problem when slotting/profile cutting. Also, I'm at the higher end of the RPM spectrum which is usually best for those who use woodworking routers for spindles. The best in my opinion is Onsrud 65 series. They even have them in ball-endmill as well...

The coating add lubricity to the surface of the tools, so it should work great for oilier woods like rosewoods. I would not use spiral-o-flute on softer, stringier woods like spruce although a lo-helix could work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had great luck so far with an ONSRUD 63-735. Its the only tool i have found that allows me to cut 2x lumber in one pass. 300IPM@23000RPM with good tool life.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you need a smooth pocket floor, Onsrud 65 has a sweeper edge on the bottom which leaves a nice finish...