Skate deck profile cut bit?

Thread: Skate deck profile cut bit?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Skate deck profile cut bit?

I am a hobbyist ski and board builder and have recently been learning to use CNC. So far most of the projects I have done have been using an endmill bit to slowly cut layer by layer down on project to profile or pocket something. This has worked well for those projects but I would like to be able to use my machine to make the profile cut of my skate decks in one pass.
    Here is an example of what I want to do - 4minutes 20 seconds into video video:

- What kind of bit is used to make this pass? The bit looks like it cuts from the side of the bit and not the end.

- Also I am currently using a cnc router parts cnc with nema 23 motors and unfortunately a harbor freight trim router for my cutter (keep price low while I learn). I probably need to get a larger router or upgrade to a spindle - any suggestions for a cheap but more powerful cutter.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Skate deck profile cut bit?

Ok I upgraded router to Hitachi m12vc and got precision collet - still not sure what size bit to use for cut through pass? If anyone has any suggestions on geometry of bit I would really appreciate it!
    I have had some success making this cut but it sounds really rough on machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

- What kind of bit is used to make this pass? The bit looks like it cuts from the side of the bit and not the end.
    Looks like a standard 2 flute carbide tipped straight bit, either 3/8" or 1/2" diameter.

How it sounds depends on how rigid your machine is, and how tightly clamped the boards are. Noise is caused by vibration.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I have been cutting skate boards using the same construction methods and materials as above, I use a 6mm single flute compression spiral, I cut single pass at 3500mm feed at 16000rpm using a 2200watt spindle motor. on a Mechmate CNC machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Guys for all of the info - working on skis now but I will be doing some test runs of bits before spring rolls around