Need Help! Help please with learning CNC Lathe CAM Software or ?????

Thread: Help please with learning CNC Lathe CAM Software or ?????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help please with learning CNC Lathe CAM Software or ?????

Hey Everyone.

Been on here a while but mostly with CNC Mill/Router building etc.,

NOW I have myself a CNC Lathe that I am almost done getting put together.. I want to design and cut Trim Rosettes with it but I HAVE NO IDEAS where I should start. I do have a sample one here but need to know what type of software I should be looking for. I have SW2011 so I can draw it up in there but then I need to find something to convert it into G-Code. This is where I am very new. Or should I be learning how to manually enter the code? If that's the case, and ideas for learning resources??

I hope to be able to use Mach3 at the machine for the G-Code.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

Dezi

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help please with learning CNC Lathe CAM Software or ?????

There are LOTS of options... You need a CAM software, it will convert you part to G-Code.
    Mach 3 includes LazyCAM, you could start with that since you have it (or will have it),
    In SW, make a drawing and export as DXF and open it in LazyCAM and save to G-Code.

:) Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help please with learning CNC Lathe CAM Software or ?????

For a lathe, you don't need to produce a 3D model; a simple closed profile will work. Solidworks can produce one, but it's overkill; you just need a 2D drawing program for that. It's possible to code simple projects by hand, but it's pretty tedious. VisualTurn from Mecsoft is a good program for automating the process of turning your profile into G-code that your CNC lathe can execute; we sell it at a discount.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software