Newbie No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....

Thread: No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....

Greetings All!

I'm new on the zone and a the new owner of a PracticalCNC router table.(yes I've spent all night reading thru that section of this site, ) My issues are many, but I have hopes of making this into a usable machine. It sort of is now. crudely.

This machine has no limit or home switches. at all. I understand the basics of mounting and running the wires back, but have little experience or insight into connecting them to the controls or how to set them up. The PC is running WinCNC for a controller. Not sure if there are specific pins i should wire the limits/homes into or if it matters? Based on what i'm reading in the manual and on the zone I need to modify the WinCNC.ini file with parameters for the limits. what? how? I could really use some help here, thanks in advance!

-Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....

With programs such as Mach3 etc the limits do double duty, unlike commercial machines where there is generally two sets, one of OT and are hard wired into a E-stop circuit, and one switch that initiates a home routine.
    In your case it would depend whether the controller has this feature similar to Mach3, in the very least, you could wire O.T. switches and wire in series with any start relay contactor string.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Al,
    It is running the WinCNC Controller, and I've seen the "seek home" button in the controller's screen, and the manual simply states seeks home position. I found the brand PCNC under commercial machines but i would consider this a large home shop machine (it also happens to be how I am using it) it has a little better than 48x96 travel, but double duty switches would work for me. I've ordered some roller lever microswitches (cheap) that i'm pretty sure i can fit inside the Z-axis and the x/y where room isn't an issue. I'll have to sort thru what wire I have (there are two unused wires connected to the controller that dead-end prior to anything on the machine. if I unplug said wire it trips x/y limits (i think it was x/y)) I will double check those but i think i should be able to hook those two directly to the new switches for their recpective limits. I will try to get some pictures posted up soon (have to try logging in with my phone).

A couple questions: Anybody have a recommendation for limit switch wire? I have 2 of 6 will need more to finish the job, maybe 50-75 ft. Next, the vast majority of limit switches have three terminals on them, I get there will be an A and B side to the switch, is the third just a ground? I don't have them in hand yet so I don't know if they have the switch diagram on the side.

Still need help figuring out the WinCNC.ini and how to wire these into the connector with the computer. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

vberg...
    Send the following to my email in signature:
    Pic of the [Help] > About screen
    Pic of the WinCNC screen on monitor
    Picture of the I/O board
    Picture showing the overall layout of the machine
    a copy of the WinCNC.ini file.

If yours is a verified valid copy of WinCNC, I can assist you.

I would use a shielded 2 conductor 18-24 AWG wire for those switches. Normal wiring will be on "com" terminal and "NC"

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    vberg...
    Send the following to my email in signature:
    Pic of the [Help] > About screen
    Pic of the WinCNC screen on monitor
    Picture of the I/O board
    Picture showing the overall layout of the machine
    a copy of the WinCNC.ini file.

If yours is a verified valid copy of WinCNC, I can assist you.

I would use a shielded 2 conductor 18-24 AWG wire for those switches. Normal wiring will be on "com" terminal and "NC"
    Will do when I get home, I have seen the remote access program used by WinCNC support so I assume I have a legal copy. I will get pictures of it all for you thanks, I could really use the help getting this thing straightened out!
    -Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Islaww - email has been sent with the requested photos. Posting a couple up here as well for the group.

This is my basic setup and the end of the wires I have determined to be the X-lolim and Y-lolim wires twisted off to give a false signal to the control. More work to do than I thought when i got this rig, awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1519-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1517-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1521-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1515-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Weekly Update: ordered wire, and received it. Ordered the Switches from Walmart.com (surprisingly) estimated delivery of thrs 3/17-sat3/19 when i placed the order monday morning. Finally received item shipped notice on Thursday 3/17. Estimated delivery from DHL is 3/25. So installing limit/home switches will have to wait a week. I did manage to make some part hold down clamps (20 of them) from a 6x22" piece of 1/4"steel, brake pressed a 45, welded some reinforcement into the angle, welded "toes" onto the clamps, then had it sawed off in 1" wide pieces, and milled a 1/4"x1" slot in the long side for the hold down anchor. Haven't decided if I will continue to use drywall screws or if I will drill out the table for 1/4-20 tee-nuts mounted from the underside for bolts. Any suggestions based on experiences?

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you have a newer Practical than mine. Yours has the linear rails (Lucky you!)

Also see that you have the plasma torch height controller too, Have you used it as a plasma table?

Wincnc is a great system. I ran thousands hell probably millions of lines of g-code without a hiccup, wish I could say that with Mach3 but that's another story! Pretty sure the switch wiring is all connected through the Big connector on the back of the Stepper control box. I think it's ~ 25 pin connector but it could be more.

Here is a link to the wincnc site, lots of good info there.
    MicroSystems World CNC - PC Based CNC Controller - WinCNC CNC Software - CNC Controller Software - WinCNC - CNC Motion Control - "Home"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=A1CNC;1854182]Looks like you have a newer Practical than mine. Yours has the linear rails (Lucky you!)

Also see that you have the plasma torch height controller too, Have you used it as a plasma table?

A1CNC- Thanks, didn't know much about PCNC machines when i picked it up and had a serious sinking feeling when i started reading into them on the zone here. I have looked thru the WinCNC Website, have a lot more reading to do there still, and now that I have figured out my biggest issue trying to run (no home/limits) and I'm working on replacing those I think this will be a very nice machine for me (home shop setup). I have not used the plasma controler, and honestly I don't plan to use the table as a plasma table. my passion is in woodworking, I have little to no metal working tools in my shop, and little interest in pursuing that application. I am making a new motor mount for a smaller motor (fine detail work dremel type motor) and hope to set it up for engraving signs etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well of the practical cnc issues, I bought mine directly from them and didn't go through the drama some others did. As for replacement parts, You can get anything you would need for your machine you just would need to look or ask where to find it.

I used my table A LOT! I based my business around it doing Routing/ plasma cutting and easily made enough to pay it off in 1-2 years. I routed everything from wood to some thin stainless. You will probably want to add some braces to the frame at some point to make it stiffer but it is perfectly useable as-is.

My table has limit switches and a tool height setter. I actually have not used mine in a couple years now as I moved on to more Metal / plastic machining and have Vmc's and cnc lathes in the shop where the router was. If I can find the INI file for you it would give you an example to look at.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks A1CNC, I'm glad to hear others have had sucess with these machines. I don't have a tool height setter for mine, eventually I will likely look into that, I'm not sure which ones work with the WINCNC or how to set it up, but that's for another day. I have made some progress on my machine, I have mounted up 4 limit switches, and have a solid plan for the last two (have to machine a mounting plate to do it) but I also have all the wires run and the first four connected to their wires. two of those are already pinned into the board so they are active and working properly, I might have to shorten up the stop after tripping switch setting but they work and prevent the motors from clutching out. I've attached pictures of my progess.

I apologize for the sideways pictures, they don't do that on my computer not sure why they do that when posted to the site?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1563-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1564-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1565-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1566-jpg  

No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1572-jpg   No Limit/Home switches on Commercial Table....-img_1573-jpg