Mig Welding Aluminum - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mig Welding Aluminum

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes - I run pure Argon at around 18 if I am doing mostly fillets. Butt welds or lap joints can soot up but the weld is clean. 18-22 works for me in the shop on the rare occasion that I MIG aluminum. TIG is my preference except for amperages above 250 or so.

Scott

Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Lincoln mig welder sp100

Quote Originally Posted by tadream View Post
    I have a customer that has been using Lincoln SP-100's for years to weld AL with decent results. Amazingly, they have found that the regular wound steel liners work better than the nylon ones, and they are pushing .035 wire with them. They are a sign contractor and are, of couse, only welding light gauge material with them. I was blown away the first time I saw one of their machines come in the shop, thinking they were idiots for trying to a) Push small diameter Aluminum, b) trying to weld it with a 115v machine, and c) using steel liners. Worse yet, they run them off portable generators to do roadside repairs. Once the machine was fixed, the guy brought over some of the material they were welding and proceeded to put down a decent bead with the thing. They've got about a half-dozen units set up this way and use them all the time. Keeping the gun straight and changing liners frequently allows it with very few birdnests. I have since been setting other people up with steel liners instead of Nylon or Teflon when pushing AL, with improved results. They do require more replacement or cleaning. I've also "engineered" a Lincoln spool gun onto a Century 140 amp mig (the guy INSISTED). It worked well also.
    I have a Lincoln SP100 mig and I want to set it up for steel and AL,what do I need? Do I need a controller with spool gun?or do I need conduit with steel liner? Please any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lincoln Sp100

I have a Lincoln SP100 mig and I want to set it up for steel and AL,what do I need? Do I need a controller with spool gun?or do I need conduit with steel liner? Please any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Derek

PS derekpickoo@live.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12