Clarke MIG 180 AMP

Thread: Clarke MIG 180 AMP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Clarke MIG 180 AMP

I have a Clarke MIG 180 AMP at 220V. I normally use it to weld mild steel with no gas. However, I want to weld some aluminum. What is needed to do this and what kind of gas is needed? Also, what kind of gas is needed to weld mild steel with gas (needed for better looking welds)?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

you will need a bottle of pure argon and a new liner also use the next size up tip for ali, when usng ali wire back off the feed tension roller till it stops feeding then tighten the tension till it just starts feeding(otherwise you'll crush the wire), as for steel you have a choice you can use co2(but this cools the weld too much, but is better than flux wire), better still use co2/argon mix,also with steel preheat the weld area, just attack it with a blowtorch(till the metal goes a yellowish colour dont heat till red) , this should give you a much easier and nicer looking weld than with the flux core, oh and dont forget to swop the wires over so the torch is live(for gas )

hth
    smeghead

Downloads
    Uploads

How is the Clarke 180EN? You like it? I have the Clarke 130EN model and I love it, but planning to upgrade my garage wires to 220v and obviously need something bigger.

"Chuck Norris once walked down the street with an erection. There were no survivors." -Unknown

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

to me there's 3 good welder brands

Miller
    Lincoln Electric
    Hobart

Hobartwelders.com is great as they have a message board and they all know their stuff. The Hobart units are more for hobby use but will get the job done

the Millers are more a heavy duty type unit and I trust them as i own a millermatic 175 175A 220V MIG unit from them

with your current welder you will need a teflon liner, you'll have to figure out a way to plumb the thing for shielding gas if its not done so already, and you'll need to keep your mig cable as straight as possible or the wire will "bird nest" at the drive rollers....it will happen often even with the cord straight...its just the filler wire is too soft to get pushed though the 10-12' liner

if your welder does not have lines for shielding gas your best bet is to either get a millermatic 175 and get the upgrade kit for the spool gun or get the better millermatic 210

if you can use gas remember to switch polarity for solid wire

i remember the day i switched from flux core to solid....just amazing and smooth running

Low price welding a metal fabrication:
    www.freewebs.com/weldman

and check out my ebay items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZmoody07748
    (updates every sunday night)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by weldman
    as for as im concerned...welding alu. with that welder is not possable....or verry expensive

get a miller...the 210 to be exact....use the spool gun it comes with, alu. filler wire, and pure Argon shielding gas

to me theres 3 good welder brands

Miller
    Lincoln Electric
    Hobart

Hobartwelders.com is great as they have a message board and they all know their stuff. The hobart units are more for hobby use but will get the job done

the Millers are more a heavy duty type unit and I trust them as i own a millermatic 175 175A 220V MIG unit from them

with your current welder you will need a teflon liner, youll have to figure out a way to plumb the thing for shielding gas if its not done so allready, and youll need to keep your mig cable as straight as possable or the wiire will "birdnest" at the drive rollers....it will happen often even with the cord straight...its just the filler wire is too soft to get pushed though the 10-12' liner

your best bet is to either get a millermatic 175 and get the upgrade kit for the spoolgun or get the better millermatic 210
    Doesn't the spool gun weigh a lot more than a normal gun? I run gas thru my welder cable without any problems.

"Chuck Norris once walked down the street with an erection. There were no survivors." -Unknown

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

check out my post again as i edited it

if he has a welder that can use gas he should be fine..but if his welders not built for gas then he should consider an upgrade

the spoolguns are a little more heavy and are bigger but its really the only way to get a good alu. MIG weld without problems

www.freewebs.com/weldman

Downloads
    Uploads

check out my post again as i edited it

if he has a welder that can use gas he should be fine..but if his welders not built for gas then he should consider an upgrade

the spoolguns are a little more heavy and are bigger but its really the only way to get a good alu. MIG weld without problems
    Lucky for him, the 180EN(Click here for info) is gas capible so no need for liner upgrade...but I do see a point on the spool gun(as my wire doesn come out a little crooked) but always thought that the spool gun would be too awkwards to weld with and too big to get in tight areas.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok his machine will be fine but he WILL have to get a new liner....a teflon one....if that brand even makes them.

other than that hes good

yes the spoolguns are something to get used to but they are much better in the end.

www.freewebs.com/weldman

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a bit off topic, but I got a chance to use a Miller Access 450 for my welding test today and wow!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yea those machines are somthin else aren't they?

time to upgrade the shop welder lol

www.freewebs.com/weldman

Downloads
    Uploads

Well...I just had my first exposure to welding aluminum...using a Hobart Handler 140.....you need 100 % Argon gas...get the 120 cuft tank it is a better deal.....get the aluminum wire 5xxx...I forget the rest of the numbers......set your gas guage to deliver about 20 psi.....(I think that was psi.....too lazy to run to the shop to check).....in my welder I have 4 heat ranges....I used #2 and set the wire feed to 85 on a 100 scale.....also on the wire feed tension....use the lowest tension that still feeds the wire. You'll find that you can't linger when welding aluminum....you need to move smoothly and much faster then when welding steel. The experts tell you to look at the puddle....which is a bit tough when your MIG torch has a bend at the tip.

Last edited by ViperTX; 05-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

yea those machines are somthin else aren't they?

time to upgrade the shop welder lol
    No doubt...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    ......set your gas guage to deliver about 20 psi.....(I think that was psi.....too lazy to run to the shop to check).....
    LOL

Actually its CFH...I run my mig with c25 and an 80CF tank at 15CFH and they say its supposed to give about an hour and a half of trigger time.....mines been used almost every day for 3 months now and its still going strong...in fact I still have half a tank left

They only time ill crank up to 20 or even 25 CFH is when the wind picks up and my welds start coming out porous.

www.freewebs.com/weldman

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL

Actually its CFH...I run my mig with c25 and an 80CF tank at 15CFH and they say its supposed to give about an hour and a half of trigger time.....mines been used almost every day for 3 months now and its still going strong...in fact I still have half a tank left

They only time ill crank up to 20 or even 25 CFH is when the wind picks up and my welds start coming out porous.
    I shoot my welds with 20cfm for the heck of it, I mean, I only have a 178cf tank so it's not like I'm gonna run out for a long time.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's correct cubic feet per hour.....my tank is good for 6 hours of trigger time at 20 CFH.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    That's correct cubic feet per hour.....my tank is good for 6 hours of trigger time at 20 CFH.
    Cool...