help with turntable

Thread: help with turntable

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default help with turntable

I would like to build an electric variable speed table top welding turntable. I would buy one but the prices are absurd. Have any of You built one or have any suggestions what motor and gear box/ variable drivers to use? Also what would be the best way to get the ground to the turntable? Thanks in advance for any help You provide. Carl.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Turntable grounding

Quote Originally Posted by tallwelder
    best way to get the ground to the turntable? Thanks in advance for any help You provide. Carl.
    A factory built welding turntable I worked with had a spring loaded carbon rod for the grounding mechanism.
    The carbon contacted the under side of the turntable plate.
    WT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You weld tutor for Your reply, I have spent more time on a factory built turntable then I care to remember but never paid attention to how the ground worked. I just attached my ground to the provided post and tried to stay awake lol. I will use that method for the ground...now does anyone have suggestions as to the motor/gearbox or the variable speed mechanisms?? I found a dc gearmotor from Jameco that has a max speed of 2 rpm. I thought of using pwm to slow it down from there.? Carl.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We built one for welding at a place I worked years ago. We used a high torque, low RPM hydraulic motor with a flow control for speed adjsutment. It woked well for nine years.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I built one for large tubes. Used a Dayton DC motor with a variable controller, grounding I did thru the driven shaft with a spring loaded copper plate on the end. TIG 14" dia. flanges to tubing all in one rev.