Problem Applying tungsten carbide/diamond grit/grains

Thread: Applying tungsten carbide/diamond grit/grains

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Applying tungsten carbide/diamond grit/grains

Hey guys.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question but I could not find any other suitable forum.

I need to apply a layer of tungsten carbide grit so a round bar, but it is very important is a single layer evenly distributed and I'm just not having any luck. It needs to be a reliable method so that I can make a production but we are not talking fully automated since I only need about 100-200 pieces. I'm going to use induction heating for brazing and that part of the process is already in place, it is the actual distributing of grit that is the problem.

I know it can be done because others are doing it, I just haven't been able to find out how. So my question is if any can explain how or maybe link to a video.

/Lene

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lene Madsen View Post
    Hey guys.

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question but I could not find any other suitable forum.

I need to apply a layer of tungsten carbide grit so a round bar, but it is very important is a single layer evenly distributed and I'm just not having any luck. It needs to be a reliable method so that I can make a production but we are not talking fully automated since I only need about 100-200 pieces. I'm going to use induction heating for brazing and that part of the process is already in place, it is the actual distributing of grit that is the problem.

I know it can be done because others are doing it, I just haven't been able to find out how. So my question is if any can explain how or maybe link to a video.

/Lene
    I can't say I am an expert. but what about rotating the rod while being heating in the induction coil and sprinkling the grit using a flour sifter. The flour sifter should provide a semi-uniform distribution and I think the falling grit should stick to the wetted braze. Ideally you would need to set up the rod so it rotates at a steady speed. Perhaps an hand drill drill on very low speed or in a lathe, if this is a one man job. You might have to try a few different sifters to find the sweet spot with a sifter that has the correct screen size for the grit size.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to think about this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Applying tungsten carbide/diamond grit/grains

Quote Originally Posted by Lene Madsen View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to think about this.
    Hi Lene,

I'm interested in any results you've gotten. I need to do the same thing on a more complex form, rifflers, since I can no longer find quality products in the market.

One of the things I've learned is that I need to heat the flux enough to remove the water from the flux and then grind it before mixing a slurry. An agar or xanthum gum helps to make things sticky using alcohol as the solvent rather then water, then coating that with investment to keep things in place during firing.

I had been trying silicone carbide crystals with little success, the braze is a little exotic and the firing is also problematic. I'll be getting in some tungsten carbide grains soon and I'll let you know how that comes out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Applying tungsten carbide/diamond grit/grains

I am sorry to tell you that we never really came to any conclusions about this, and due to lack of time the project was cancelled/postponed.

If you find a solution I would also be interested in hearing your experiences in case we take up the project again.