Makerspace CNC machine help

Thread: Makerspace CNC machine help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Makerspace CNC machine help

Hello,
    I wanted to get some advice before purchasing CNC's for my makerspace. I am looking at the Roland MDX 540SA, and the (Shapeko XXL with a swapped out Makita 11amp 2-1/4HP Router). The projects that come in are typically soft metals and hardwood, and I want to make my furniture and product designers happy. These 2 machines fit my budget and typical build sizes, but I want to ask if there is anything out there that could be better. Thank you for all of your help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Makerspace CNC machine help

I don't run a Makerspace, so I don't have any direct experience, but here are some of my opinions anyway since no else seems to have answered your post:

The Roland's are very slick machines, but due to the high price, slow metal cutting speed, and tiny work envelope, I would look at something more flexible like a Tormach.

For furniture machining, a Shapeoko or Xcarve should be nice due to the large work envelope, although for heavy duty use I am not sure if either machine will hold up compared to an industrial router. For a shared space like a Makerspace, due to the noise I would also highly recommend a proper spindle vs a router, unless the machine is in its own room.

Finally, think about the learning curve for your users and trainers on different control software. If you are considering the Roland I assume you have already considered this, since their control software looks really easy to use, but Tormach's Pathpilot should be relatively easy to pick up as well. Shapeoko and Xcarve have various options, which will give you some flexibility to find the easiest to use solution for your users.

Your best source for CNC recommendations would be other Makerspace organizers, since they have already gone through the pains of teaching users (to not crash their machines!)