CNC mill and lathe recommendation for European hobbyist

Thread: CNC mill and lathe recommendation for European hobbyist

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC mill and lathe recommendation for European hobbyist

I'm an American living in the Czech Republic. I live in a house and have a workshop I'd like to populate with a CNC mill and lathe. I have experience 3D modeling and printing, but no experience with CNC. As such I'm looking for something entry level. My main challenge seems to be sourcing the machine; most of the recommendations I've come across suggest US machines that would be extremely expensive and difficult (e.g. customs) to ship over. I've looked at the new Sherline 5800 CNC and the Proxxon FF 500 CNC mills (and matching lathes) because I can get them easily in Europe. Unfortunately I've also read a lot of comments disparaging their size, power, tolerances, and general usefulness.

I would like something that I can grow into; I wouldn't want to replace it too quickly. I have a whole room set aside in my house, so I do have some space, but I would appreciate any practical safe saving measures like a combo mill + lathe if it didn't decrease performance. My budget is flexible, but relatively small at maybe 4-8k USD ideally. I'd really prefer machine(s) I could source entirely from within Europe to keep the logistics (inc. spare parts, repair, etc) simple. As for what I'd be making... I don't know yet! I have an interest in woods, plastics, metals (inc. aluminum, stainless steel). I'd modeled and printed everything from stroller accessories, iPhone covers, jewelry, gears, appliance parts, etc. I suppose the only constraint I can add here is "general purpose, flexible".