Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines? I need to buy some!

Thread: Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines? I need to buy some!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines? I need to buy some!

I have the linear guide rails off an older MotionMaster machine that was scrapped a few years back. The machine was huge: sliding table, fixed gantry built of 12x12x1/2" HSS. I want to use the rails to add a fourth axis to another machine but did not get any bearings; the machine had been stripped before scrapping.

Can anyone tell me who made the linear rails for the older MotionMaster machines? I've talked to the successor company, but the guy I spoke to didn't know.

Thanks in advance and if anyone has decent used bearings I'm interested!

Photos of the rails I have:

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines?  I need to buy some!-linear-guide-rail-2-jpg   Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines?  I need to buy some!-linear-guide-rail-1-jpg   Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines?  I need to buy some!-linear-guide-rail-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines? I need to buy some

What are the dimensions?

They look to me like Bosch Rexroth profiles, or perhaps STAR Rexroth profiles.

There may be some other companies that use similar profiles, I don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Who made the linear bearings for older MotionMaster machines? I need to buy some

MotionMaster used Thompson products quite a bit, so that would be a good possibility.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. It's looking a lot like Thompson 500 series! I'll measure it up in the morning. I remember pulling a few hundred plastic plugs to remove the allen bolts, and that's a Thompson feature too I see.

Does anyone else make bearings for Thompson 500 rails? Decent used bearings will work for me so no point in being restricted to Thompson if others fit(?)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    What are the dimensions?

They look to me like Bosch Rexroth profiles, or perhaps STAR Rexroth profiles.

There may be some other companies that use similar profiles, I don't know.
    Don't have access to my digital vernier at the moment, but my inch mic says the web is exactly .925" across.

Dug out the old 1-4 mic and got 1.240" as the total height, 1.340" as the width at the bottom and 1.200" as the width at the top.

Anyone recognize those?

I have to say that the Thompson rails seem to have a taper at the midsection whereas what I've got looks a lot like the NSK LAS25CLZ

Last edited by Stocker; 11-22-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen Thompson bearings on Ebay

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
    Don't have access to my digital vernier at the moment, but my inch mic says the web is exactly .925" across.

Dug out the old 1-4 mic and got 1.240" as the total height, 1.340" as the width at the bottom and 1.200" as the width at the top.

Anyone recognize those?

I have to say that the Thompson rails seem to have a taper at the midsection whereas what I've got looks a lot like the NSK LAS25CLZ
    You'll have to look at the manufacturers, they post profiles with dimensions in their literature, you may have to even download some of their cad files, which are often available, and get out some calipers to compare dimensions.

Interestingly, the Bosh Rexroth rails that I have, well, they are excellent, but I did notice that on the bottom, the two outside strips are ground, but there is an indent in the middle, and that surface has the consistency of sand paper. Clearly the rails in these photos are not the same. That makes me wonder, does anyone know how these are manufactured? I am doubting they are machined (ground) from billet at this point.

EDIT:

I was just trying to get a feel for what size they are when I asked for dimensions. For example 20mm or 25mm. Obviously they are larger sizes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Bosch Rexroth 35 series have a width of 34mm according to one reference I saw - only .036mm off my width of 1.340"...? Could be just .036mm of dirt!

Pity no one makes a rail and bearing cross-reference like the auto parts cross-reference books of olden times!