Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?

Thread: Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?

Hello

I want to buy this cnx machine: 300W CNC Router Machine CNC3040 CNC Cutting Machine Mini Lathe, free tax to EU countries-in Wood Router from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Do you think it is good enought to mill pockets into 10 mm acryl using 1mm steps and at least 600 mm/s feedrate without getting problems? Do you think it can hold the bit on its place and wont clatter?

I am going to use a 3mm bit

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?

Hi......my honest opinion....ABSOLUTELY NO, I think it's a heap of crap.

The design of the frame and uprights to the gantry height are so out of proportion......for that price I would go on EBAY and buy a 3040.....with a 400 watt spindle.....but don't take my word for it if you think it's for you.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?

Could you send me a link to a good offer on ebay? And why is 400w so much better than 300w?

And you can mount the upper part of the frame directly to the bottom rail-axis. The picture just shows the "higher z setting". I am not going to use that.

Its going to be like here: Free Tax to Russia Free Tax to Russia & Ukraine, 4 Axis CNC Wood Router Engraver Mini CNC 3020 Milling Machine Parallel Port -in Wood Router from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    (from AliExpress Android)

Last edited by KING2882000; 10-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, when you get down to that quality of machine you can't expect to have a machine that would satisfy industry standards............even hobby standards are put to the test as these type of machines are made down to a price not quality............good for wood, plastics etc.

You'll have to browse your EBAY listings in your country to see who is selling and the shipping cost to your location.......they all come from China anyway so you don't have much choice in the model.

A 400 watt spindle ( if it is available) is more powerful than a 300 watt spindle........that means it won't stall if you push the envelop a bit with cutting forces......it's always better to have more power than less.

The deeper you go into material the more power is needed as the cutter will be under a greater loading........even a small depth of cut many times won't help as the final cut could be at full face contact due to previous cutter deflection etc..

Attached is a pic of the 3040 CNC type router you can find if you browse on EBAY.
    Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?-w3040ta02-jpg  
    Last edited by handlewanker; 10-10-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This would be an example: 280*180*10 mm acrylic glass (Pmma) . The pockets are up to 7mm deep, but i would mill in mm steps. Here the picture:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?-cncneu-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.....all I can say is.......for that work envelope a CNC router of a 3040 size would do the job......how well is a question based on the build quality.....of that I have no experience as I'm into CNC mills not routers.

You would get better results with a CNC mill but as it's a high cost factor the CNC router like the one I showed would be the way to go.

If you have the time and mechanical skills you could do a manual mill retrofit conversion to CNC, but that would end up at approx A$3,000 by the time you buy the manual mill and all the parts etc.

Buying a CNC mill per se would be in the region of A$10,000 and that is without the tooling and infrastructure to support it.

Would a DIY CNC router build be an option if cost is a limiting factor?

Attached is a photo of a 3025 moving table type CNC router I started to build before I got my mill.....now on the back burner etc.

It was designed to cut steel and is to be constructed using an all welded steel tube build.......tubing size is 75mm X 50mm with a 6mm wall thickness.
    Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?-dscf1501-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Building would be an option if:

1. Its cheaper and better at the end or at least same price
    and way better
    2. Some instructions
    3. I dont need to write the software (inserting the machine size etc would be ok but not the whole software)
    4. I dont need a cnc or something special for milling the frame

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, if you have mechanical skills, tools and some welding experience then it's dirt cheap as steel tubing is quite cheap but very strong.

I paid A$150 for enough steel tubing to make 2 CNC routers as shown in the photo.....that means the complete frame of one router cost A$75.....it was cheaper to buy a full length of tubing and cut it to my sizes at home.........I was going to sell the second one once it was finished.

Attached is a model of the finished CNC router in Polystyrene material to make sure the proportions of the build were right and get a feel for the construction before committing to steel.
    Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this cnc machine good enough for milling pockets into 10mm acryl?-dscf1466-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have mechanical skills but i am not sure if i could make a frame, that holds the bit down and doesnt let it dodge and makes a moon surface or lets paths remain because the mill dodges to the side. I hope the china 3040 can do that with 10000 rpm 600mm/s (23.6 in /s ) and 1 mm deep cuts

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....it all depends on how you design it for rigidity.

If cost is a deciding factor then you could do a DIY build as the designs fall into 2 types....moving table or moving gantry.......it's just the design, method and materials you personally prefer to do the construction.

I personally prefer the moving table design as it can be made very rigid and that means capable of milling steel.

The 3040 I showed earlier "can" do some work,....it has limitations.... but as I said I've not used one or even seen one in the flesh so cannot say for sure if it will fulfill your particular needs.

Browsing on UTUBE and reading the comments on the various videos relating to the 3040 specifically is the best you can get.

In the end you only get what you pay for.....that could mean it might be good enough for your needs......I can't say.

Personally, I would build one as that ensures you can use components to your satisfaction and not down to a price etc..... that is the way to make sure it will do the job.

I do not like aluminium extrusions for a build....my preference is steel tube or plate and all welded.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I've been doing this with a CNC 3020. It goes very well

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, there you go, someone who actually uses one.

The 3020 has the 300mm size as the Y axis (table longways) and the 200mm as the X axis.......the 3040 has the 400mm as the Y axis and the 300mm as the X axis.,,,,,don't know the spindle power of either but they're on EBAY so you can browse the specs for each one.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
    Hi,

I've been doing this with a CNC 3020. It goes very well

Cheers
    Do you mean milling acrylic or building one for yourself?