Have $30K Need suggestions Share your thoughts.

Thread: Have $30K Need suggestions Share your thoughts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Have $30K Need suggestions Share your thoughts.

I have a small shop and I have $30k to purchase a new 3-Axis CNC. We have been rehabing a Multicam, but it isn't going well, I am looking to purchase a ready to go machine for around $30K.

It needs to be at least 4'x8' and the height isn't super important.

The Camaster Panther is catching my eye; for that price I can get the auto-tool changer, 5 HP spindle, and possible a vacuum hold, but I want to hear the opinions of this community.

I'll mainly be cutting MDF, but plastics and wood are definitely in my wheelhouse (aluminum would be nice, but not needed.) It needs to be a bit of a workhorse, able to keep working 8-16 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Plug and play greatly appreciated.

Ask more questions, if needed, or share your thoughts. The winner gets a firm crisp hi5 if I ever meet you (maybe a few beers too.)

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Have $30K Need suggestions Share your thoughts.

Unless your Multicam is completely worn out mechanically it would be a good candidate for a retrofit. They are pretty substantial mid-range machines. I have a customer that has two 5 x 10 machines and they run aluminum all day long. I repowered one of them with ClearPath servos and it's working out fine. I'm not impressed with the MultiCam controllers and operator interface, but there are a lot of other options. The ClearPath servos will wire right into the MultiCam controller, and bolt right up to the motor mounts.

Sounds like you just need a bit of help getting your machine up and running.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is very much the truth, but I have been working my way through each step and now I think there is a communication error with the inverter and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I got this machine from a company that closed and it was a retrofit from Logixx with all Multicam interiors now, but even that is like 15+ years old.
    I'm considering a plug and play machine to get some business running, instead of sinking more money and time into this machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

What a dilemma, you are sitting there with a machine that may be mechanically OK, but you don't even know that for sure. And have dead controls. There are a few lighter weight machines in your price range so you have a few options there.

I am not sure how the MultiCam controller handles the inverter. Normally I would expect it to output a run signal from one of the opto relays, and control the speed with a 0-10V analog signal. There should also be a signal to a MultiCam input that says ''Inverter OK'' I don't have any documentation on my computer for that one so can't be of much help. As I recall, the machine has to be homed before anything will work, dunno if that helps or not.

Are you located anywhere near Portland, Or?

Downloads
    Uploads

30k isn't much for an industrial machine that you plan to run 16 hours a day. You can get close with a new CAMaster. If that was my goal I would look in the used market for something like a Haas, Thermwood, or Komo router.