Boss is About to Drop 65k on a CNC Router. Better Suggestions?

Thread: Boss is About to Drop 65k on a CNC Router. Better Suggestions?

Default Boss is About to Drop 65k on a CNC Router. Better Suggestions?

We don't know anything about the CNC router world, so I've come to you guys for help.

We need a CNC router with a 4'x'8' or larger table with a multi tool to change from milling to drilling automatically. It will be used to cut HDPE. That's the basic requirement.

My boss has come up with the SmartShop MT by Laguna tools which could also score, slice, debur, etc. Deburing is really handy. Scoring and slicing however isn't as much. We cut corrugated plastic, but not often.

So, what's the general consensus on Laguna CNCs? What are some good alternative CNC router brands to look at?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boss is About to Drop 65k on a CNC Router. Better Suggestions?

Shop Sabre and Camaster.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dplucinski View Post
    We don't know anything about the CNC router world, so I've come to you guys for help.

We need a CNC router with a 4'x'8' or larger table with a multi tool to change from milling to drilling automatically. It will be used to cut HDPE. That's the basic requirement.

My boss has come up with the SmartShop MT by Laguna tools which could also score, slice, debur, etc. Deburing is really handy. Scoring and slicing however isn't as much. We cut corrugated plastic, but not often.

So, what's the general consensus on Laguna CNCs? What are some good alternative CNC router brands to look at?
    These machines here are a better deal, New CNCHome - New CNC

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    These machines here are a better deal, New CNCHome - New CNC
    Have you used these personally? They're somewhat local for us, so that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Shop Sabre and Camaster.
    I like what I see from Sabre. I'm currently leaning towards them.

Downloads
    Uploads

I look at sabre , and for me it looks not as rigid as newcnc routers , and not so profi and heavi like newcnc tools . But just a thought , not working on them .

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you used these personally? They're somewhat local for us, so that's a plus.

I like what I see from Sabre. I'm currently leaning towards them.
    They don't compare to the Newcnc machines, Sabre is a light weight machine in comparison

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They don't compare to the Newcnc machines, Sabre is a light weight machine in comparison
    I can see their cheaper models are, but I'm looking specifically at the IS series which looks somewhat comparable.

Downloads
    Uploads

No but i watched on youtube about them , and sabre seems a litte not that rigid to my standards , they seem like a diy cnc's , not industrial tools like the newcnc routers , but this is only what i see , how they are made , the materials , and how they look to me .
    This is jut my point of view , no offense for tools u use .

Downloads
    Uploads

I can see their cheaper models are, but I'm looking specifically at the IS series which looks somewhat comparable.
    The IS models are still a light machine, do not compare in any way, go look at both machines, put you hands on them, then you will see the difference, look at the weights of the machines, compare controls, compare linear Bearings, quality of the Rack and Pinions, Servo Motors and Drives there is many things to look at when looking at these machines

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

My personal experience...

Avoid CAMaster. Avoid Shop Saber. The WINcnc package is unfriendly and out dated.

Laguna is just a Chinese import with Laguna stickers on them (Fanuc controller and motors). I have worked with 2 of their routers. They were nothing special. But they have a good price. That said I was going to buy 2 Lagunas. The sales department didn't seem all that interested in the sale and never got back to me. Good luck getting in touch with them.

For that amount go with Komo, Thermwood, or Haas. Stick with American made machines with industrial controllers.

HDPE is a nasty beast. The biggest thing you're going to get is bird nests. Especially on drilling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi you could always consider Multicam. They are built like tanks ( 5000 series onwards ). Their controllers ain`t the best but for what you are proposing to use it for would be fine. I crunch out Vacuum forming tools out of billet ally with out too much fuss but it is a router and not a mill but they are very versitile machines and American made too. I wish we made things like this in the U.K...... once apon atime.... /

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    My personal experience...

Avoid CAMaster. Avoid Shop Saber. The WINcnc package is unfriendly and out dated.

Laguna is just a Chinese import with Laguna stickers on them (Fanuc controller and motors). I have worked with 2 of their routers. They were nothing special. But they have a good price. That said I was going to buy 2 Lagunas. The sales department didn't seem all that interested in the sale and never got back to me. Good luck getting in touch with them.

For that amount go with Komo, Thermwood, or Haas. Stick with American made machines with industrial controllers.

HDPE is a nasty beast. The biggest thing you're going to get is bird nests. Especially on drilling.
    I like the look of Komo, Thermwood, and Haas, but we need a vacuum table since we'll be milling 1/4" HDPE as well. It doesn't look like they offer one?

We've gotten pretty good at milling HDPE on our tiny CNC mill. Hopefully that will translate with one of these.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the look of Komo, Thermwood, and Haas, but we need a vacuum table since we'll be milling 1/4" HDPE as well. It doesn't look like they offer one?
    Not sure about the Haas, but the Komo and Thermwood would certainly be available with a vacuum table. But I'd also expect them to be well over your budget.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

How about a used or rebuilt DMS Router ?

Been doing this too long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at Legacywoodworkingcnc.com they have large and small cnc Mills with a fourth and fifth axis if needed. The prices are really reasonable too. I have had one for 8 years

Downloads
    Uploads

That link for Legacy doesn't work; try this one: https://lwmcnc.com/cnc-mills/

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]