Appreciate advise on our next CNC Lathe

Thread: Appreciate advise on our next CNC Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Appreciate advise on our next CNC Lathe

We are looking at replacing our MicroKinetics 1340 CNC Lathe and could use some recommendations. CNC Lathes Models 1236 & 1340 | MicroKinetics We want to replace the 1340 because it has been nothing, but trouble for us. Pieces came broken, components break prematurely, terrible backlash; overall a poorly designed machine.

We mainly produce two parts on the lathe and would not consider ourselves a high production shop (30-40 parts on a busy day). Since we do not produce a variety of parts, we generate our g-code in our 3rd-party CAM software from CAD drawings and make any tweaks by hand.

The aluminum and steel parts that we produce require precision that the 1340 was unable to deliver; 1/1000 of an inch.
    Despite needing a 10" chuck to hold some of the parts they are not overly long. The 35 1/4" of travel on the 1340 is more than sufficient and we could get away with something as small as 18".

To streamline production, we make use of a tool turret. Formerly, we tried Microkinetic's AT-6 (6-tool), but the way the lathe was laid out prevented us from utilizing both boring bars and turning tools so we "downgraded" to the AT-4. Optimally, we want 5 tools, but are now shell-shocked with the experience from the 6-tool turret and we aren't sure what we may be getting ourselves into if we get anything that supports more than four.

I'm sure I left some details out, so feel free to ask away...

TLDR;
    CNC Lathe
    30-40 parts/day
    1/1000" precision
    10" Chuck
    18"+ Travel
    Import G-Code
    Aluminum/Steel Parts
    4+ Tool Turret

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Appreciate advise on our next CNC Lathe

You might look at a Haas toolroom lathe. https://www.haascnc.com/machines/lat...html#gsc.tab=0

The other questions that come to mind are: Do you have enough power in your shop to run a larger lathe? 3 phase? What is your budget?

A used commercial CNC lathe might be a good option. There are a number of them for sale in the Pacific Northwest where I live, don't know where you are located.

Another option might be to retrofit your lathe controls with a more accurate system, but the machine frame may not be up to the task.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim,

The Haas Toolroom TL-1 lathe is one on our radar and glad to hear at least one vote toward it.

I was apprehensive to posting our budget because we didn't want that to be the main driving factor in lathe recommendations, but rather the needed features. I'm personally, not one for bloated systems chocked full of features I don't need and know I'm paying for them.
    However, for sake of furthering discussion we are looking at lathes in the $30K-$40K range.

We have three-phase in the shop.

We are located in Green Bay, WI.

As you suspect, retrofitting isn't much of an option in our eyes. Every component has a flaw... from the frame to the mounting plates, from the ball screws to the chuck. In truth, the only component that hasn't given us grief is the HP PC that runs the software.

Downloads
    Uploads

A good retrofit would be the best/cheapest option.
    It would cost == 9-12.000€.

A good modern cnc of any make would be the most industrial option - and any would easily make your parts.

The haas TL models are the cheapest ones, and far more accurate than you need.
    The base ones used to be quite cheap.

Take a sample part - email your nearest hfo.
    Ask them to study it, and show you one in use for similar stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by comlogical View Post
    Thanks Jim,

The Haas Toolroom TL-1 lathe is one on our radar and glad to hear at least one vote toward it.

I was apprehensive to posting our budget because we didn't want that to be the main driving factor in lathe recommendations, but rather the needed features. I'm personally, not one for bloated systems chocked full of features I don't need and know I'm paying for them.
    However, for sake of furthering discussion we are looking at lathes in the $30K-$40K range.

We have three-phase in the shop.

We are located in Green Bay, WI.

As you suspect, retrofitting isn't much of an option in our eyes. Every component has a flaw... from the frame to the mounting plates, from the ball screws to the chuck. In truth, the only component that hasn't given us grief is the HP PC that runs the software.

The budget information is helpful so we are not suggesting a million dollar Mori-Seiki HMC when you were thinking Harbor Freight Sounds like your budget is very realistic, and should be able to find a machine that will exactly fit your needs.

A quick search of the Green Bay Craigslist turned up a few CNC lathes in your general area. https://greenbay.craigslist.org/sear...uery=cnc+lathe

Your current machine does not sound like a good candidate for any kind of an upgrade for your purposes.. Might be an OK machine for a home hobby shop.

Best of luck on your search.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hanermo, you make a very solid suggestion on taking the sample part as a benchmark for [any] sales office.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I gotta ask,,, for 30-40 parts a day, why would you have a lathe in the shop, in the first place?

I used to sell low volume custom lathe parts,, the local machine shops made the parts for what , in my opinion, worked out to be pennies per part.

We stuck with making parts that resulted in big $$$$$,, all lathe parts were outsourced.