Advice on NEMA42 and matching Driver

Thread: Advice on NEMA42 and matching Driver

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Advice on NEMA42 and matching Driver

Hello,

I am making a project where I decided to 'go big or go home', and I want to buy this motor:
    NEMA 42

This baby is VERY strong.
    My project will need the motor to turn SLOW, something like 5rpm, and have the highest torque possible.

The question is - which driver should I get for it? The same site offers a few but I'm not sure which is best/works well with it.
    DM2282 Driver

Do you have any suggestions on the best NEMA42+driver combinations? Any other component I need with it to work properly?
    As a side-question - are there any issues that might occur due to the low rpm that I will use...? Like the motor jamming or 'choking' etc...?

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Advice on NEMA42 and matching Driver

The motor/driver combination you are looking at should be fine. The good news is that you want to turn it slow. It will work fine at 5 or less RPM, the problem comes in when you try to turn those motors fast. They almost won't run unloaded at 600 RPM. I used that combination on a system that was spec'd to turn a maximum of 600 RPM and it almost would not do it. But the customer normally runs the machine at 300 or less so it works fine for him.

Downloads
    Uploads

@Jim Dawson

Thanks!

Is there a particular power supply I need for the driver?

I also want to control it with Arduino, do you know an example wiring scheme for that? I've done it with NEMA17 but not with a driver like the NEMA42...

Downloads
    Uploads

That driver does not require an external power supply. It's powered by 120V AC. The NEMA 42 drive just takes a 5V DC step & direction input. Two 5 V outputs from the Arduino will run it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.
    You mean to say that the capacitors and all the other electrical control is already inside the driver right? No resistors or capacitors required between the Arduino and the Driver / NEMA42 ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure about that particular drive, but many of them have optically isolated inputs. I don't think there is a problem driving it directly from the Arduino. All you need is wire between the drive and the motor.