Need help figuring out what I have

Thread: Need help figuring out what I have

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help figuring out what I have

So first off I hope this is the right forum to post this question I am not a machinist I am actually an auto mechanic with no experience in machining equipment.

I recently inherited some sort of linear motion device from my grandfather's estate. I was hoping to get some help from those in the trade such as what is it? does it have value to or should I just keep it to tinker around on? What I might need to make it work? The pictures are the complete assembly, the underside of the sliding part (I'm sure there is a more technical name) and two electric devices that were in the same box. So far all I have determined is the manufacture is THK.
    Thank you in advance for any information you have.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help figuring out what I have-20170802_161747-jpg   Need help figuring out what I have-20170802_161810-jpg   Need help figuring out what I have-20170802_161910-jpg   Need help figuring out what I have-20170802_161926-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help figuring out what I have

Just some type of linear stage for a specific application. It's unlikely that the electronics will be of any use to anyone.
    Be careful taking the carriage off, as the balls might fall out of the bearings.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like it may be driven by a linear motor. If the controllers work and you can get it running it might be cool to play with.

Ben

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, looks like a linear motor & controller. Looks expensive and fun to play with.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone especially the caution about removing the carriage. I have not had time to get back to this beast to tinker around with it but clearly I am missing some parts to make it run. I don't know if the controller even works. I guess the next question is what would be the simplest way to power/operate this thing preferably cheaply since it will just be a toy and not for any important tasks?
    Again I appreciate any help this is a whole new world to me but fascinating to learn about