Looking to buy a 3 axis cnc router complete for home use 2x2 or 2x4 or 3x3

Thread: Looking to buy a 3 axis cnc router complete for home use 2x2 or 2x4 or 3x3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking to buy a 3 axis cnc router complete for home use 2x2 or 2x4 or 3x3

Hi

IM NEW HERE....I don't want to spen a lot of money but I also don't want cheap junk that won't cut into paper lol

any help would be appreciated

can I get anything ok under $1000.00

This will be for home use only....to play around with..and then maybe graduate to better down the road...

would like to be able to cut into wood plastic and maybe even light cuts in aluminum

would like 2x2 or 3x3 size

what should I look for as far as features....motor size....etc

can anyone give me some recommendations on where to buy at decent prices....with good quality

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 axis cnc router complete for home use 2x2 or 2x4 or 3x3

The only machines close to your price range are probably the X Carve and Openbuilds Ox. There are a lot of X Carve reviews on YouTube.

Both are very lighweight machines. But if you want something better, you'll need to spend considerably more.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 axis cnc router complete for home use 2x2 or 2x4 or 3x3

Thank you..that's a start...lightweight is a relative term

I need facts.....would the carve take 1/4 or 1/2 inch shank bits?

Would it machine aluminum?

I'm not looking to use this for production use...just hobby home use......but I don't want anything that will bog down trying to take a .250 depth cut in wood......

The x carve has 1.25 hp 7amp which seems not so powerful ..".....my 2hp hp hand router bogs down more than I want it to

Downloads
    Uploads

The amount of cut you can take is really a matter of the frame stiffness. Then you match the spindle HP to the frame. The lighter the frame, the less HP it will handle. Then there is the accuracy issue. The lighter machine is just not going to do as well as the heavier machine due to flex and vibration in the whole system. Most times less important in wood, but critical in plastics and aluminum, especially where you are fitting parts together.

In reading the specs on the X-carve, it looks like it has a DeWalt router for a spindle, and will take 1/8 and 1/4 bits. You could upgrade to a 7518 Porter-Cable router motor, they will take 1/8 to 1/2 bits, that's what I have on my machine. But using that spindle on a X-Carve might be too much for the machine.

If you are wanting to get into the 3 HP or more spindle range, then you are going to want a stiffer machine, in other words, more mass, larger rails, and more powerful axis drive motors. All of this pretty much puts it out of your stated budget range.

People have built routers out of MDF and then used them to build the parts for a heavier router out of aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you...I would be ok if it can handle 1/4 shank bits for now.....and I'm starting to understand the differences....I really want to keep it under 1000$ for first time.....even used would be fine

I just don't want to spend 1000$ and be a total waste of money

Any other suggestions where I can get a used one?.....or suggest any other than carve so I can compare.....there are tons of sub $500 ones on eBay with tiny 300w and 400w motors..I'm sure those are just useless...

Downloads
    Uploads

I would concider the sub $500 machines to be more tabletop engravers rather than routers.

I always buy used equipment where possible, most of it for scrap price..... But, I rebuild equipment for a living so buying non-working equipment doesn't frighten me. The used market really depends on where you live and maybe more just how lucky you are. Craigslist is my favorite source for equipment, EBay, not so much. Sometimes you can find a deal on EBay, but many times people think they're selling gold. Same with Craigslist sometimes.

I'm in the Portland, Or area, but I would jump in the truck and head for LA for the right deal on a piece of equipment. You just have to have a wide enough search area that you don't limit yourself. The real problem is that the small used routers seem to go for close to retail price. You are more likely to find an industrial size router for near scrap price, I paid about $1000 for my 48x96.

I wish I could offer better news.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you..that's a start...lightweight is a relative term
    These are probably the least rigid machines in that size range that you'll find. Hopefully that's more clear.

I need facts.....would the carve take 1/4 or 1/2 inch shank bits?
    Most of these low cost machines use small routers with 1/4" collets, and these machines are not really rigid enough to push a 1/4" bit really hard.

I'm not looking to use this for production use...just hobby home use......but I don't want anything that will bog down trying to take a .250 depth cut in wood......
    Depending on how fast you are cutting, how sharp the tool is, and how hard the wood, is, there's a chance that you'll see some flex with a 1/4" deep cut.

Would it machine aluminum?
    Any machine will cut aluminum. It just depends on how fast, and the quality of finish you want.

Again, spend a day watching the YouTube Reviews. You'll see the speeds and depths that people are able to cut at with these machines.
    Keep in mind that a decent machine in this size range would start at closer to $2500-$3000.

In your price range, you can get a 15"x24" chinese machine.
    1.5KW 3AXIS CNC 6040 ROUTER ENGRAVER Engraving Drilling Carving Ball Screws USA

Be aware that these often have cheap, failure prone electronics, and usually come with pirated software, and often pirated hardware designs that are not what they claim to be.
    A lot of people buy chines machines and replace all the electonics, as you can get a better mechanical "frame" for the money.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome information.....thanks

I don't like xcarve at all...cheap wood work mounting area...I want steel or alum mounting plate so I can clamp down Good not cheap particle board base......Thea's ridiculous.....

Downloads
    Uploads

The vast majority of routers use a wood table surface, known as a spoilboard. Unless you are mounting a vise to hold your parts, you'll find that you cut into the table quite often.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

FYI....$1000 may not be a lot of money for a cnc router but fact is $1000 is a lot of money and I will not spend $1000 on anything period that won't last many many years..without breaking down

I like the look of the link you sent me on eBay for 989.99 but u said its cheap electronics......if it will stop working in a year it wouldn't be worth to buy

Downloads
    Uploads

Rent before you buy.
    Develop the Cad model, CNC program and tooling.....
    Then find an idle machine, plenty of idle spindles looking for work.

Downloads
    Uploads

i have cnc program..i have tooling....im a toolmaker....just want to do at home...at work i use basic prototrak cnc

Downloads
    Uploads

Shelby, since you are a tool maker you are obviously an experienced machinist. Why not just pick up larger CNC knee mill, something like a 10x50 table and then you can have the best of both worlds. Gives you about a 14x30 work area. Even some of the smaller bed mills have a work envelope of that size. You can find used ones pretty cheap. While I have a CNC router, I still do a lot of ''router'' work on my mill. I even built a dust collection system for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

experienced?.......I machine sometimes....I work in manufacturing we do more repair work on tooling...and I do machine and weld sometimes....

i would love love to be able to machine stuff at home..and though cnc router would be nice....and affordable....but it seems cnc routers in my price range are too flimsy i would never buy a machine made out of wood that rots...warps...nicks...bends.....just junk......I'm not a carpenter.....and when I machine a carving I don't mount job directly to table...I mount wood or a scrap steel piece down then mount my workpiece to that so I don't have to worry about machining into my machine table....

i like steel and stainless and aluminum lol

anyways I don't want to buy anything 220v

If I could get a small mill with cnc interface software hooked up that would be great but that would cost a fortune

Downloads
    Uploads

I do appreciate all the input.negative and positive.....that's why I'm here .....to make a good decision on what to buy

Downloads
    Uploads

A cnc mill would be nice but not an option right now....space.....and I don't want to run 220 or 480v

I want to keep it fairly simple but do what I want

So I'll just keep researching my options...cnc routers are nice because you can get bigger work space and not some huge machine like a mill.....but seems my price range gets me something I won't be able to use how I want to....

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent! are there local hobbyist groups ? a Makerplace ? Community Colleges? Try the CNC zone locals to you.

Downloads
    Uploads

You didn't mention what part of the country you're in, but I did a quick USA wide search last night for CNC routers and did find a used one for around $500, in Michigan I think. The seller couldn't figure out how to use it and wants to get rid of it. Just what you are looking for I think.

Use Searchtempest to search Craigslist nationwide. SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

Downloads
    Uploads

i live in mchigan detroit area

can u send link to used one

Downloads
    Uploads

Oops, Sorry, this one is in Pittsburg, Pa. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/6209012861.html

I probably looked at 100 of them last night, they all kind of blur together.

But use SearchTempest to search all of Craigslist