Wanting to buy good CNC router for ~$8K

Thread: Wanting to buy good CNC router for ~$8K

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wanting to buy good CNC router for ~$8K

My budget is about $8K to buy a new CNC router. The larger the better as I need to cut lots of pieces out of 4x8 sheets of plywood. The smallest I think would be 4x4 feet. Maybe a smaller one would be better...you help me. This is not commercial (at this point) so won't be using super heavy. The only material I am thinking of cutting right now for my projects is 1/4" to 5/8" wood.

I try to tell myself I'm pretty mechanical and use lots of power equipment currently, as well as computer work. If if saves me $ and doesn't sacrifice size or quality I'd feel comfortable buying parts separately...but don't know a good parts list.

Any recommendations using this budget?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wanting to buy good CNC router for ~$8K

For sheet goods, a 4x8 is the best way to go. Gives you more flexibility in cutting layout and maybe less waste. Do you have commercial power available, or are you working out of your home shop? I had to downgrade the 12 HP spindle on mine because I didn't have enough power to run it. Would a 4x8 machine fit in your work area? You need at least a 8x16 work area to have room to work around the machine and to load sheets on it.

Are there any used machines around where you live? Buying a used commercial machine may be an option, I have run into a few with dead controllers. I bought my 4x8 for $1500, and put another $3500 in it in controls & motor upgrades. It's a heavy commercial machine that's built like a tank, should last for the next 100 years the way I run it. One of my customers picked up two 5x10 machines for $12,000 for the pair and put another $4000 into them in motor upgrades and repairs. There are some good deals out there if you look around a bit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    For sheet goods, a 4x8 is the best way to go. Gives you more flexibility in cutting layout and maybe less waste. Do you have commercial power available, or are you working out of your home shop? I had to downgrade the 12 HP spindle on mine because I didn't have enough power to run it. Would a 4x8 machine fit in your work area? You need at least a 8x16 work area to have room to work around the machine and to load sheets on it.

Are there any used machines around where you live? Buying a used commercial machine may be an option, I have run into a few with dead controllers. I bought my 4x8 for $1500, and put another $3500 in it in controls & motor upgrades. It's a heavy commercial machine that's built like a tank, should last for the next 100 years the way I run it. One of my customers picked up two 5x10 machines for $12,000 for the pair and put another $4000 into them in motor upgrades and repairs. There are some good deals out there if you look around a bit.
    Great questions. I tried to keep my initial question brief, but you raise nice points. Basically, this would be out of my garage. I have an empty third garage bay. The power in the garage is used currently by my table saw, scroll saw, sanders, etc. Not sure if this is good enough or not; never thought about how much power a CNC will use.

Even if I went out and purchased a used one to upgrade, I wouldn't really know what is a good "base" to work from. What would be the most important "base" components to work from?

Downloads
    Uploads

The heavier the frame the more stable the machine. Then look for mechanical wear. Depends on the drive system as to where to look. Look at the guide rails, deep scratches might indicate bearing issues. Grab hold of the carriages and see if you can feel play in the drive system Look at the overall condition of the machine, well maintained or looks rough? Looking at the machine under power and operating is the best way to assess the condition, but many times this isn't possible. You just have to use your eyes, feel, and experience.