Stepper Motor for Personal Project

Thread: Stepper Motor for Personal Project

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Motor for Personal Project

I am wanting to build my mom something that is called a "Mechanical Cow". ProCutter or CowTrac are professional machines that I am trying to replicate for a fraction of the price. The flag moves are preprogrammed paths or randomly by being controlled by the horse rider.

By the looks of the videos online, I assume the flag is moving around 15-20 feet per second. The motor also needs to be able to reverse on the fly. I think a Nema 23 or maybe a 34 would most likely suit my needs. The torque would be minimal as it would just be the weight of the rope which I can't imagine would weight very much.

Do y'all think those stepper motors would be able to meet my needs in speed, power, and customizability?

Thank you for your time!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper Motor for Personal Project

For a stepper kit, this might work

New!USA free ship!CNC Wantai 1Axis Nema34 Stepper Motor 1090oz 5.6A&Driver 7.8A | eBay

The higher torque motors do not have very good high RPM performance. To get 20 ft/sec you will need to turn the motor at about 1146 RPM, using a 4 inch pulley. Keep in mind that the stepper torque drops off very fast as the RPM increases.

For a controller, this might do what you want.

1 Single Axis CNC Servo Stepper Motor Motion Programmable Controller ST-PMC1 | eBay

For radio control, I have no idea. Garage door opener system maybe?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you trust that seller on eBay? Also what about that deal make you recommend it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also could this setup be connected to an Arduino?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have purchased a number of Wantai units, have not had a problem. I have a few of those parts and pieces around, I normally buy several at a time just just to have on the shelf for projects. The reason I chose that particular one is that is the most likely to have the combination of speed and power that you need, and it comes with a 60V power supply, you are going to need all the voltage you can get to run at higher RPM. Also was chosen for price, given your design criteria. The cheapest ProCutter is pretty inexpensive for what it is. It's hard to put together a robust package for too much less. Not sure how they can sell at that price.

Also purchased one of the ST-PMC1 units, off of Amazon I think, can't remember. Haven't played with it too much.

Arduino? Yes, but I have no idea how to do it. Never played with one, I work on more industrial stuff. There are a number of other members on here that could give you advice on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thought, it might be possible to use a higher torque motor and gear it up to get the speed you need. Maybe just using a larger pulley, but the higher torque motors drop in torque faster than the smaller ones.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also though that building it myself would be impractical but as I get into it, it seems like I can do it easily for under 500 and it will have most of the features that their 3500 dollar model has. I appreciate your help finding the motor, power supply, and controller! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

It's my pleasure Be advised, that motor is just my best guess without doing all of the math.