Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine

Thread: Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine

Hi Guys,

I'm a real NEWBIE here (as of today) and I am disabled from a massive stroke at 44.

I want my first CNC as it seems like some I could really enjoy. I used to enjoy woodworking and CAD work too. I owned &operating my own graphics business for 20+ years and engaged in both every week.

I am looking at a STEPCRAFT 2/600 for a starter machine. Most all of my work will be hobby/therapy work, I do not intend to make a living out of it.

My question t you guys is, for my needs & wants, would a Chinese CNC be a better choice? I could save $1000's on the initial investment (or could I) and I'm in no hurry.

Why do good quality machines appear to have only 500w & 800w spindles when Chinese machines have 1.5kw & 2.2kw spindles?

Is there something else I should look at?

Are Chinese machines that bad?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine

With an American or (in this case) European machine, you're paying for things, like support and accountability, which you don't generally get with a Chinese-made equivalent. If you don't need any help getting a machine to run, and you're willing to roll the dice and hope that what you get measures up to what you thought you'd ordered, then a Chinese machine may be a good choice for you. But this forum is full of complaints and pleas for help from people who lost that bet.

The plastic-bodied spindle on that particular machine does look a bit weak, though (they didn't have much to say about it, so I'm going by looks only). If you're planning to cut anything harder than wax, or for more than half and hour at a time, you might get one with a more powerful spindle, preferably a 3-phase variable speed type that runs from a VFD. The Chinese tend to rate their spindles optimistically, so you can't really count on one of them actually running at 2.2kw for very long, but a good one would probably be better than the Dremel-type tool mounted on that Stepcraft.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

My question t you guys is, for my needs & wants, would a Chinese CNC be a better choice?
    Chinese machine can be a roll of the dice. Generally, you'll get a heavier duty machine, but the quality control is marginal at best. You might get a good machine, or you might get one that needs to be torn down and put back together, fixing stripped bolt holes and poor quality components. Chinese electronics are also 50/50. They might be OK, but you won't know how long that they'll last.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this one is good enough for a hobby machine >>>>> 400W 3 Axis 3040 CNC Router Engraver Milling Machine Engraving Drilling Desktop/ | eBay

The price point is not really a pain in the pocket I guess, if you`re a beginner in CNC jobs I think this unit can be a perfect practice unit, until you get really familiar with it then you start to optimize it to speed things up, then by and by you will crave for more (trust me I know ) this unit is moderate in speed so if a disaster happens it`s not really that scary, dont be afraid on disasters because it can help make you wiser next time, if you buy the larger ones then when disaster strikes like for example wrong coding, or any technical issues on the bit used or anything that can result to CNC stalling it could be fatal sir because larger CNC machines have larger spindle motors, larger and more torquey steppers, faster CNC movement, my practice unit is a small CNC 2015, a tiny bed CNC machine with a 400W air cooled spindle then things begin to get slower and slower then I crave for a larger one 3040 then a larger one 6040 then a larger one 6090 hehehe, it`s like smoking a cigar or riding a smaller cc bike, things will get slower and slower every time you get too familiar with it.

By the way im not a salesman sir, you can buy any CNC brand you want as long as it`s slower specially if you`re still practicing, im just sharing my experience on my CNC machines. and I did not buy the CNC machines I used today, my uncle had one (CNC2015) put in the stockroom for 11 years for the drive PC died (windows 98) then I borrowed it from him to learn from it, after few months I did make it work, then the fun starts that day. right now we can mass produce any product in thousands using CNC machines, plasma, laser, galvo laser, routers, etc.

This is my practice machine CNC 2015 im thankful for this unit for it taught me everything about CNC works. CAM programming, hardness of metals, disasters, everything hehehe

Until now it still works but only for engraving metals because you dont really need speed on engraving metals

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine-photo0048-jpg   Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine-photo0040-jpg   Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine-20170109_120415-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM AUTOMATION TECHNOLOGY. Bought a kl6090 a month ago and it hasn't worked since. Terrible customer service

Downloads
    Uploads

You paid 4K and it doesn't work? I'd be on their door step beaten in the front door! Is this the machine you bought? http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...outer/kl-6090/

Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JPMJR View Post
    DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM AUTOMATION TECHNOLOGY. Bought a kl6090 a month ago and it hasn't worked since. Terrible customer service
    Maybe it just needs set-up configuration sir? this is one bad ass CNC machine you got there, hassle-free set-up because it had already a factory supplied XML file, it`s as simple as install MACH 3, then copy/paste the XML file on MACH 3 folder that`s it, no more hassles in setting up the speeds, calibrating each axis etc.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine-kl-6090a-jpg   Disabled NEWBIE Looking to BUY First CNC Machine-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear my friend,

You may contact me. STL CNC machines, we have our own workshop and also a B2B platform taht offer different kinds of machines. welcome contact me. Whatsapp +86-13913531343

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

But some Chinese companies are with good quality and competitive prices, like us. Our products quality is stable and most of all, as we have too much cheap labor, so our products are cheaper

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JPMJR View Post
    I was really serious about buying a KL-6090 from Automated Technologies tomorrow until I re-read your post. The customer service seems to be a selling point to me. Apparently you know something that I do not.

Is your problem solved yet? Have they tried to at least address your problem?

What is wrong or not working on the machine?