Looking for some style/brand advice..

Thread: Looking for some style/brand advice..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for some style/brand advice..

Greetings, one and all...

I am looking for some direction on a CNC lathe purchase for my company. Let me explain what we have:

We are currently running a Jones & Lamson (circa mid 50's-60's) automatic lathe to cut poppets to seal certain types of valves. The material being cut is a fairly high durometer value buna rubber. As you may imagine, the lathe is obsolete and OEM replacement parts are very hard to come by. We have patched it up multiple times, and I think I have the bosses talked into replacing it with something more contemporary, CNC controlled. The problem I have been running into is finding a unit that is simple to change over and easier to operate. I will write the actual programs for cutting the parts. The process is considered filler work for the assembly workers, so it has to be easy to set up/change over, and require little training to run. Essentially, a insert part, stomp pedal to close collet, hit shiny green button, stomp pedal to release collet, remove part, repeat. The operator will not make any offset adjustments.

It does not need to be especially large, the smaller the better, but it does need to be sturdy enough to run two shifts, 5-6 days a week. (we use up to two thousand of these poppets a week, and there are four different diameters to deal with) No coolant is needed, so it does not need to be enclosed, a simple chip guard will do. My price range is 5k to 10k. My apologies if the description of my needs rambles some, If you need any clarity on any of my requirements, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike