Dealings with Dropswell

Thread: Dealings with Dropswell

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dealings with Dropswell

Good morning everyone. Have spent the last 6-9 months researching my first laser purchase for an initial business set up.
    Got a budget of around 3K to start it all off.
    Looked at all the eBay options but am unimpressed with the aftercare aspect.
    I've now found a UK based company called Dropswell. The website looks good, my emails are answered promptly and there's a legitimate business address and phone number but it all seems too good to be true, if you know what I mean?! They keep trying to get me to pay with a Bank transfer instead of a normal debit transaction.
    Maybe I'm too suspicious in my old age?
    Has anyone on here had any dealings with them? Positive or negative? I'd be very interested to find out.
    Many thanks,

R.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dealings with Dropswell

Their web site looks very professional. It sounds like they are trying to avoid the credit card or PayPal fees by doing a wire transfer. Maybe they will allow a normal credit card transaction if you pay the extra fees. It might end up being 3-4%, but it should give you some protection.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I imported a CNC machine from Red China and discovered the normal way to pay is a bank transfer: 1/2 down, 1/2 on shipping. As you would expect, it's hard to get info on the reality of the firm's existence or of the shipping. So one is out the entire amount weeks before the item appears. I sympathize--maybe someone else could suggest some way to leverage these transactions.

Ask your bank about fraud protections, maybe.

Half-seriously, from a boy who grew up in the wide-open spaces of West Texas, bein as how you're both in the UK (which to a Texan only includes Scotland and England anyway), whyn't you just drive over and see the operation? (Of course, I'd just use my private jet which I bought after the first all well. ;^))

--
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

I would just set up an escrow account at my local bank or any international bank with a local branch that is acceptable to the seller. That way you have a neutral third party involved and it protects the buyer and the seller.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by steve323 View Post
    Their web site looks very professional. It sounds like they are trying to avoid the credit card or PayPal fees by doing a wire transfer. Maybe they will allow a normal credit card transaction if you pay the extra fees. It might end up being 3-4%, but it should give you some protection.

Steve
    Thanks Steve.
    I'd be happy to pay over the odds to guarantee my normal rights as a consumer. I just can't afford to get conned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnczane View Post
    I imported a CNC machine from Red China and discovered the normal way to pay is a bank transfer: 1/2 down, 1/2 on shipping. As you would expect, it's hard to get info on the reality of the firm's existence or of the shipping. So one is out the entire amount weeks before the item appears. I sympathize--maybe someone else could suggest some way to leverage these transactions.

Ask your bank about fraud protections, maybe.

Half-seriously, from a boy who grew up in the wide-open spaces of West Texas, bein as how you're both in the UK (which to a Texan only includes Scotland and England anyway), whyn't you just drive over and see the operation? (Of course, I'd just use my private jet which I bought after the first all well. ;^))
    Hi! You are absolutely right, we are very fortunate here in the UK to be able to drive across the whole country in less than a day.

Visiting the company for some passive recon is definitely a real option and should alleviate my concerns!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would just set up an escrow account at my local bank or any international bank with a local branch that is acceptable to the seller. That way you have a neutral third party involved and it protects the buyer and the seller.
    Hi Jim.
    I had not heard of an escrow account until your post so thank you for taking the time to post!!
    I'll do some research on this but the concept sounds perfect for this situation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I am currently researching a range of companies as I am in the market for a laser. Did you go with Dropswell? Either way, could you give me any more info on your dealings with them?
    Thank you
    Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just opened a thread on our recent purchase: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html

Newbury and District Hackspace
    http://www.nadhack.org.uk/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mortongj View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently researching a range of companies as I am in the market for a laser. Did you go with Dropswell? Either way, could you give me any more info on your dealings with them?
    Thank you
    Gary
    Good morning Gary.

Very sorry the late response. I haven't checked this thread for a while and didn't see any notifications for a new reply!!

I am yet to make my purchase due to a delay with the start up my end, but Dropswell is looking like the choice for me ATM. I will be visiting the business before I had any money over though.

Have you found any other UK companies worth looking into?

Regards,

Nathan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by StuartL View Post
    Just opened a thread on our recent purchase: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html
    Awesome information, Stuart. appreciate the link!! 👍👍👍

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rimbreaker View Post
    Good morning Gary.

Very sorry the late response. I haven't checked this thread for a while and didn't see any notifications for a new reply!!

I am yet to make my purchase due to a delay with the start up my end, but Dropswell is looking like the choice for me ATM. I will be visiting the business before I had any money over though.

Have you found any other UK companies worth looking into?

Regards,

Nathan.
    Hi Nathan,
    I am still yet to find any company to rival Dropswell all-round. I am still researching, but I will definitely be visiting a few companies before I make a final decision.
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mortongj View Post
    Hi Nathan,
    I am still yet to find any company to rival Dropswell all-round. I am still researching, but I will definitely be visiting a few companies before I make a final decision.
    Gary
    We went with the 100W 6040 CO2 LASER CUTTER at Dropswell, mate. Let me know how you get on, if you go with Dropswell - it'd be nice to have a cutter buddy! We're brand new to the laser cutting arena, and though I have a good few years under my belt with design/Photoshop/drag cutting, any advice we can offer/get would be great.