looking to buy CNC Step High Z S720T router - thoughts?

Thread: looking to buy CNC Step High Z S720T router - thoughts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default looking to buy CNC Step High Z S720T router - thoughts?

Hi All

I'm thinking about buying a small CNC portal milling machine to cut plastics, aluminum front panels and PCBs. I am going to use the machine primarily for cutting plastics (delrin, POM, PC, etc).
    I need to cut about 200 housings every couple of months, each housing is made up of a bottom and top part that fit together. Dimensions are 76x76x45mm. The inside of the two parts is cut out until I'm left with about 4mm wall thickness.
    I want to be able to run the machine without staying near it all the time, and I want it to be able to keep running for several hours without problems.

I am interested in the CNC Step High-Z S720 machine and my plan is to cut about 28 parts out of a piece of delrin with dimensions 700x400x45mm. I could also use a piece of MDF and pocket out holes and keep individual pieces in their location so I can easily flip them to machine them on both sides. I'm not 100% sure yet about the best way to fix my work pieces and machine them on both sides without too much hassle.

I have some questions about the machine:

1) do I need a tool length sensor?
    2) do I need a tool changer? the spindle that is included is a kress 1050W. I was advised that getting a tool changer will require a lower power spindle compared to the kress and that it's not necessary for my work. I won't need a lot of tools but do expect to need about 3 to process the pieces, one for roughing, one for smaller work and one for finishing.. and maybe one to cut a chamfer.
    3) should I get an undercarriage and housing for the machine? I could also put it on a desk, but maybe it's better to get the undercarriage along with the machine. I am planning on getting a vacuum cleaner adapter so I can suck away the material but I was advised on also getting the housing to keep material inside the machine (machine will be in lab / office environment). I don't want to spend time doing DIY tinkering for an undercarriage or housing and want a machine ready to go.
    4) should I get the T version of the machine?
    5) should I get some kind of industrial vacuum cleaner to attach to the vacuum cleaner option on the spindle? some people told me running a vacuum cleaner all day will wear it out quickly and that they are not made for that and that I would need a more professional exhaust solution. The pieces of delrin will be machined out deeply so I expect a lot of trash.
    6) what software should I use ? the machine comes with pcnc and construcam, I've only used deskproto briefly myself and usbcnc.
    7) should I get a vacuum table? or is this something more for material that is really thin?
    8) is the kress spindle of 1050W enough or should I use a different one for this type of work?
    9) is air cooling OK for cutting delrin?

Any comments are welcome, especially from people who have a CNC step machine. Thanks for your help!
    B