Economy encoders AMT vs USdigital

Thread: Economy encoders AMT vs USdigital

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Economy encoders AMT vs USdigital

The price of the USdigital E5 encoders keeps going up and is now about $64 for a 1000 line and $55 for a 500 line, both Differential (qty10),
    so what are the other options for encoders under $50 ?

( Its always best to go differential, so saving a few bucks and going single ended isn't a smart move in the long run, as you will have a less reliable machine and if you were to convert a single ended to differential with an external driver, its going to cost more in money and time. )

--------------------

The E8 encoder is smaller and available in DIfferential and 500 line for $42 and seems to be good quality. For pricing you have to call for the E8
    It has a tiny connector, but its cheap. Here are the Digikey part#s for the connector
    Shell WM1724-ND
    Pins WM 2023-ND

--------------------

Then the AMT112Q ENCODER has Differential outputs and programmable resolutions for $33
    The digikey part # is 102-3319-ND

With the AMT though i think have to spend $31 on a cable (part# 102-3375-ND) to program it to different resolutions. Also can you buy the connector alone without the cable ?

Can anyone give the opinions of the AMT and what connector or cables you used ? Also did you have to program it before using it ?

Also is there other cheap differential encoders that people recommend ?

Similar Threads:
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Economy encoders AMT vs USdigital

Larry,

Mouser has the connector in stock

FI-W17S JAE Electronics | Mouser

You should be able to assemble it for less than five dollars.

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Economy encoders  AMT vs USdigital-17-pdf   Economy encoders  AMT vs USdigital-pinout-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a link to a post showing a comparison between amt and glass disk encoders. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/4103

I will say that the amt encoders do work. That doesnt make them good for cnc. I have plotted graphs with them and the plots are horrible. They were amt 102s run through a line driver and straight single ended. The results were the same either way. Moving along on a step response plot the encoder will be tracking correctly then between 1 count and the next it will be off 100 counts. The next count after the 100 count jump is back to where it should be. There's some real hokey stuff going on inside these encoders that make it impossible to get anywhere near the performance from your motors as you can with a proper encoder. Also at idle these encoders don't just show a steady state. If you can plug one in and monitor it's state you will see it floats + or - 10 counts of zero jumping back and forth but never settling. I really don't understand how they keep up with where there at jumping around like they do but either it reaks havoc on the pid loop.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used the single ended version and they work great. I've never had noise issues, but my machine came with single ended to begin with, so I wasn't really concerned about it. I'm way over the 6 ft distance, but I also only run 1000rpm DC servos, so it may be that noise is more of a problem with higher RPMs.

You probably already know, but you can order them in any of the possible encoder resolutions out of the box. If you know what you want, you wouldn't need to program them. The single ended just has DIP switches, so a bit different for resolutions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    Here is a link to a post showing a comparison between amt and glass disk encoders. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/4103

I will say that the amt encoders do work. That doesnt make them good for cnc. I have plotted graphs with them and the plots are horrible. They were amt 102s run through a line driver and straight single ended. The results were the same either way. Moving along on a step response plot the encoder will be tracking correctly then between 1 count and the next it will be off 100 counts. The next count after the 100 count jump is back to where it should be. There's some real hokey stuff going on inside these encoders that make it impossible to get anywhere near the performance from your motors as you can with a proper encoder. Also at idle these encoders don't just show a steady state. If you can plug one in and monitor it's state you will see it floats + or - 10 counts of zero jumping back and forth but never settling. I really don't understand how they keep up with where there at jumping around like they do but either it reaks havoc on the pid loop.

Ben
    These have not been my experiences, but as always, YMMV. I don't get any flutter to the encoder count at all, and I can monitor it directly from the controller by encoder count. I will get the occasional 0 - 1 fluctuation after homing to the index, but not any more than a single encoder count. If I take the encoder off the servo, there is no fluctuation, so I've always attributed it to servo bounce or something to that effect.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered the programming kit for the CUI encoders with programmable BLDC commutation and the results were not that good with the results I got I could see no reason to use them.
    Motors would suddenly reverse for no reason.
    I could not get any technical support, I was informed the person that developed them was no longer in the picture!
    Traditionally I usually purchased Renco, but unfortunately since being acquired by Heidenhain the price has gone up and many of their product line has dissapeared.
    Al.

Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I ordered the programming kit for the CUI encoders with programmable BLDC commutation and the results were not that good with the results I got I could see no reason to use them.
    Motors would suddenly reverse for no reason.
    Al.
    Ouch, that could be dangerous !

USdigital makes a commutation encoder for $115 each
    US Digital EC35 Encoder

Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the new E4T for USdigital

US Digital | Products

At this time they are only single ended and the line count is only up to 300 lines though.
    They are only $ 24.80 each (qty10). or $31.50 (qty5)