3dprintforums logo

CNCzone Network:  RFQwork :: 3Dprintforums :: Welderzone :: Google+ :: Our Facebook :: Twitter :: SiteMap

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital Version of Digital Machinist

Downloads
    Uploads
    SlimJim,

In order to view the issue in “Your Library,” you need to go to the storefront and purchase a subscription or back issue. Once it is purchased, it will appear, and stay, in your library section of the site. (Note: Not all back issues are available digitally yet.)

When purchasing, simply select the back issue or subscription you want and a window will pop up allowing you to choose either digital or print.

We don’t plan to turn our backs on the print versions of our magazines; we have a press that likes to keep busy.

George

Downloads
    Uploads
    SO I have to pay again to get access to something I have already payed for in another format?

If so that's not a benefit. I understand that you have to make money and believe me when i say I have contributed my part, but you guys need to look at the big picture
    1) You should do it as a benefit to those who are already your customers.
    2) Your customers should be able to save it.
    3) You should at the very least have a demo copy for your existing customers.
    4) You should put it in the Zinio format which will expose it to thousands of more potential customers and open it up to the next generation of users who have Ipads and smart phones and are used to getting media that way. That way they can buy it through the Zinio store. Yes you will be giving up a percentage to them but I bet you will still make more than it cost to print one and think of the new audience you will reach.

Quit worrying about how someone is going to steal a copy of your magazine by saving it and giving it to someone else and think about the potential customers out there you can reach. BY the way, anyone who wants to steal it will still do it so you are just making it inconvenient for your current subscribers.

Thanks

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jim,

The digital issue is not intended to be a free benefit to subscribers, but rather an alternative way to receive the magazine. Turn Page, the service that hosts the issue, charges us for every issue and we need to cover this expense somehow.

You can check out a demo issue here Digital Machinist Sample

Thanks for the comments.

George

Downloads
    Uploads
    George,

I am with everyone else I would like to be able to download the magazine.

I started reading and subscribed to your magazines about a year ago. When I seen the editorial notes in DM that the next issue would be available in digital format I was excited and started to look at all the older magazines for missed issues that I was interested in. I guess from other magazine experiences I was thinking they would be down-loadable and for a discount price.

So I tried out the Sample Digital Version and I have to say I will probably not order any. The interface is horrible. When turning the pages it does a zoom out and back in, makes a sound and does an animation showing a page turn. It takes away from actually reading the articles and is annoying eye candy. When zoomed in and scrolling down it doesnt advance to the next page. You have to mouse over to the other side to continue reading. If you try zooming in on an ad (little machine shop) it shoots you off to their website. Just trying see how much something was.

Overall I enjoy reading your magazines I just wont be doing it in Digital Format. I think this version of reading is great for looking a Target and Sears ads but not great for reading a magazine or book.

Edit: Just tried printing out a page. NO PRINTING!?

Downloads
    Uploads
    At this point, we plan to keep the digital version as it appears but I will push for changes to better match our reader’s needs. These comments will help my case and I appreciate you taking the time to share. Keep them coming.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can understand a little of VP's concern for being profitable at electronic distribution. Unfortunately, a lot of folks will take advantage of any way they can to get free copies of your material and that has to make it a lot tougher. I hope that you can find a good way to make it easy for the subscribers to make hard copies without losing profits.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike,

Sorry for the slow reply to your comments; my vacation last week has left me a bit behind.

The ability to download has been the biggest complaint with the digital issue so far, with the cost of it coming in at a distant second. We are taking your comments into consideration and I know you will see some changes in the future. Whether the changes will include the ability to download or not, I can’t say for sure at this point.

We produce, all or parts of, over 35 magazines and Digital Machinist is the first one to go digital, with the intention of working out the bugs with it before jumping in with the others. So, this present version is far from being cast in stone and we are paying close attention to any and all feedback.

George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Digital Machinist

I am a subscriber to the digital version of Digital Machinist, and I'd like to add my voice to others that are disappointed.
    I subscribe to a number of other e-magazines, and I must say that compared to these the digital version of DM is very poor. I have now switched over to reading my magazines on an iPad, and at the moment, DM is the only magazine that I can't download in a format that can be read on either an Ipad or other e- readers.
    I would like to see the following features before I renew my subscription:
    1. the ability to download to my PC
    2. The ability to read on a tablet, like iPad
    3. the ability to print individual pages

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gb3 View Post
    Mike,

Sorry for the slow reply to your comments; my vacation last week has left me a bit behind.

The ability to download has been the biggest complaint with the digital issue so far, with the cost of it coming in at a distant second. We are taking your comments into consideration and I know you will see some changes in the future. Whether the changes will include the ability to download or not, I can’t say for sure at this point.

We produce, all or parts of, over 35 magazines and Digital Machinist is the first one to go digital, with the intention of working out the bugs with it before jumping in with the others. So, this present version is far from being cast in stone and we are paying close attention to any and all feedback.

George
    George -

It has been a while and as far as I can tell there has been no response on VP's part to consumer feedback on the poor quality of your digital publishing offering.

Can you provide an update please? When is the "future" that you refer to above coming?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello,
    As you can see, we get very little traffic in this forum and I spend most of my time at our own BBS, bbs.homeshopmachinist.net. If you have any questions for me, that’s the place to find me in a reasonable amount of time.
    Regarding the digital edition: I’m told that the format will remain as it is for the foreseeable future. I’m still hopeful that we will be able to pursue other options, but won’t hazard a guess as to how far off that may be.
    George

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brackout board

hello ,
    does brackout board c10 required programming?/?
    please help me!
    thank u

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered both digital and magazine but I hate to take the magazine on the road (it gets trashed) so I pull up the digital version, make an album on the ipad and take pics of the pages I want to read. Then you can print the pictures if u like.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123