Improving my vise

Thread: Improving my vise

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Improving my vise

I have a low profile vise which is excellent for plastic and PCB works or other things which need a shallow grip. It is a center gripping type, which is a good idea in some situations, but not always. So I decided to make some small modifications, milled two new jaw traces at each end. I also made the bolt pockets larger because the original ones does not allow the use of washers. Here is a short video about the modifications I made. Enjoy.

This was the first time I milled aluminium with my upgraded DIY CNC. I am a bit surprised with the results, very satisfying and nice in my opinion. I know some people will disagree with me, but I will continue milling aluminium without lubricant. For now, I see no problems with dry milling. Of course, the speeds must be right, but it seems to work just fine.

Similar Threads:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Improving my vise

hy i messed up with vises / fixtures for bigger cutting forces, and i can tell that what you did is pretty good for some parts, while, if you clamp parts at your maximum vice capacity, than you just decreased it's holding rigidity; that solution requires some paralelism and 90 degress conditions on original vice + your profiles, that, even if are done at best accuracy, may lead to vibrations

what you did is perfect just keep it up if you are satisfied, than all is great

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, thanks for the comments. What is not said in the video is that I actually made an extra fine milling run once the vise was assembled and installed on my table. That was to get as parallel jaws as possible, aligned with my spindle X movement and squared as much I could. It is described in this blog post:

https://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/...y-diy-cnc.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Why would anyone disagree cutting aluminum dry? You just have to watch you keep a heavy chip to get rid of the heat. I use cutting fluid to clear chips on long operations but usually prefer cutting dry.

I noticed your spindle is not up to speed during the cut. Add a pause so the spindle can get up to speed or bad things can happen.

Downloads
    Uploads

so you are an " machinal artist "

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Why would anyone disagree cutting aluminum dry?
    Perhaps it is just my imagination, but generally I think whenever "experts" spoke out before, they always claimed that dry cutting aluminum is not a good idea because it will glue to the cutter. I also have seen a huge number of dry cutting works and most needs heavy surface cleaning at the edges and the finish never looks as good as I would wanted it and the consensus was always that they should have used cutting fluid, or at least air to blow chips away and cool. So I never tried before.

You just have to watch you keep a heavy chip to get rid of the heat.
    Yes, I think that's where those who fail make the mistake. The spindle speed and the feed rate must be right. Generally, I think that those who fail run at too slow spindle speed and/or too high feed rate. I used FSwizard to calculate and it gave me the data. I increased the spindle speed and the feed rate a little because the recommended feed rate gave me some resonance but that's all.

I use cutting fluid to clear chips on long operations but usually prefer cutting dry.
    It seems like the chips are removed very efficiently by the spindle rotation and when I adjust the dust shoe properly nothing remains in the holes and everything ends up the vacuum cleaner dust bag. I can't use cutting fluids in the room where I use my CNC. Anyway, for chip removal the flow and the pressure must be very high. I have also seen many video where people flood the bed but the chips end up in every cavity, which is my opinion can't be a good idea since that results in the chips milled over and over again. I am not planning to make any huge jobs, so I don't think heat due to long milling time is going to be an issue, but I will watch and monitor the results.

I noticed your spindle is not up to speed during the cut. Add a pause so the spindle can get up to speed or bad things can happen.
    Yes, I noticed that as well, but the only place where I know I started a bit too early was at the very beginning of the video. The others are up to speed. I normally keep an eye on it, but also planning to modify the M3 macro so that it will not continue with the G-code unless the speed is reached.

Downloads
    Uploads

dry or coolant is relative when only machining something ... just get it done

if many parts, and spindle is little, cut dry to hear and adjust cutting specs also chips may be tested by hand, because their rigidity says something about cutting specs / tool / material, etc

when is ok, start the coolant

spindle speed or whatever : again, just listen if cutting depth is low, a spindle may still be accelerating when entering the material, or changing cutting direction, without any problems

there are techniques to ignore spindle speed response, but is ok to use them when you are comfortable with whatever rpm that spindle has ...

if tool is not carbide and toolpath is long, than faster wear may occure during cutting, thus several cutting specs during machining, like starting on high rpm, and decreasing it after a while ( + maybe increasing feed, to keep general feed mm/min constant / pretty close to initial value )

ps : mistakes made by experts can fill many books