Need Help! Noob Struggling - with open vectors

Thread: Noob Struggling - with open vectors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Noob Struggling - with open vectors

I am using a demo of 2D/3D to draw simple 'layouts' for an iPhone cradle (as a learning exercise) and then export to DXF reading for import to VCarve Desktop and getting some very odd results and lots of open vectors. The work flow is this but have tried lots of variations.

ViaCAD latest version
    Creating a simple 2D drawing using the rectangle and line commands, always snapping to the end of lines or intersects
    Change to ISO view, 3D and extrude the parts I need (to create a tray for the phone).
    Export as a DXF or DWG (tried both).

VCarve Desktop
    Import the drawing, OK- does everything I'd expect until I calculate the tool-path and dependent what type of cut I select depends on the open vectors it reports as being open, being ignored and closed. The preview screen what it thinks is correct but as you might expect nothing much like the drawing.
    Using the tool to join vectors marginally helps.

Having tried so many different things now I'm at a bit of a loss but suspect that I am not doing things correctly in ViaCAD.

Advice appreciated....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Noob Struggling - with open vectors

Would it be possible to post your ViaCad file, or a sketch? I'm thinking using the 'SHELL' command on a solid rectangular block might work better.
    I'm just guessing, hard to tell, without a sketch or file.
    Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Larry, I'll post the file later today when I get home.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I'll try to post the vc3 file

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you had 2 models in the file, one inch and one metric, don't know how that happened.
    I really try to avoid using groups, the file I did was just an extrude, shell and some fillets.
    Before you try it in V-Carve, delete the 4 lines that were used for the extrusion.
    Larry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob Struggling - with open vectors-2-objects-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Larry,

I found the second model last night too. What I've been doing is modifying the original and exporting into DXF as I try to find the fix for this problem, somehow this file got messed up, all the examples I tried don't have this second model.

That said I will try your advice and example later today.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I tried to import the file into vcarve desktop and it failed so now I'm not sure whether the problem is exporting from cad programme or vcarve.

When I say failed I mean it just sat there as if I hadn't tried to load anything.

:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you trying to import the 3D model, or 2D vectors?

Creating a simple 2D drawing using the rectangle and line commands, always snapping to the end of lines or intersects
    Never used ViaCAD, but there should be a tool to joint the vectors. Just snapping to the endpoints does not give you a closed vector.

"Closed" is not really what they mean. What they mean by the term "closed", is one continuous vector with no open endpoints.

I have no idea why you'd be extruding anything if your importing 2D vectors.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gerry,

The explanation of closed helps.

I am sketching in 2D then change to 3D extruding as I need to then exporting as either DXF or DWG ready for import to VCarve. I sort of assumed I was importing 3D??

I get the feeling I've wasted my $$$ on VCarve at the moment after doing something similar with Fusion and managing to get a tool path from that (although I can't export from Fusion to anything VCarve can 'read'.

Regards
    Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Stuart,
    I'm enclosing a simple one layer .dxf file from AutoCADLT 98, which is what I prefer to use for 2 or 2 1/2 D
    CNC files.
    I mostly do plasma cutting, and use SheetCam. The AutoCAD is old, the SheetCam is old, the plasma
    CNC machine is old, and so am I, but it's a simple easy to use combination.
    Larry

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll give this a try when I get home, many thanks..... :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

I am sketching in 2D then change to 3D extruding as I need to then exporting as either DXF or DWG ready for import to VCarve. I sort of assumed I was importing 3D??
    You generally don't want to import a 3D model with V Carve.
    You generally just import the 2D vectors, and work from them. Looking at the image above, it looks like a simple pocket and profile operation.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to watch the first two videos here:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials...goryIndex.html

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

OK guys, I think I am getting there slowly now. I just wanted to say thanks for your responses.

Stuart

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You generally don't want to import a 3D model with V Carve.
    You generally just import the 2D vectors, and work from them. Looking at the image above, it looks like a simple pocket and profile operation.
    What rubbish.

Vcarve 8 supports 3D images very well (although limited to 1 stl), and yes you often need to import your 2D vectors and overlay them on your model. The old way was to use Cut3D and import the tool paths, but Vcarve 8 offers several advantages by importing directly. Vcarve 8 also supports roughing and finishing tool paths.

I use Viacad 9 (the best solid modelling package for the dollar ever!!!) and yes I have the same problem of disjointed vectors on import into Vcarve. The join tool will resolve many, and you can use join straight. You will also find on your import occasionally you will have overlaying or "hidden" vectors. It's no big deal. I always import the DFX into a seperate layer and spend a bit if time cleaning it up. You will find it a mess on arcs/circles, and I often redraw the arcs in Vcarve.

I think this is a Viacad issue for sure, and it has something to do with converting your solid to lines. There are a lot of settings to play with when doing that, but I've never bothered to invest the time. I would look at pen settings and hidden settings. The only thing I do is make sure I don't use draw views. If you find an improved setting, let us know!

To simplify tool paths I always join my vectors for machining, it's a good idea you do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

:-). Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    What rubbish.

Vcarve 8 supports 3D images very well (although limited to 1 stl), and yes you often need to import your 2D vectors and overlay them on your model. The old way was to use Cut3D and import the tool paths, but Vcarve 8 offers several advantages by importing directly. Vcarve 8 also supports roughing and finishing tool paths.
    Not rubbish at all. (And they are 3D models, btw, not 3D images)

If you look at the image of the model he was using above, it's a simple rectangular shape with a pocket. There's no need to import a 3D model when all you're going to be doing is a profile and pocket toolpath.
    Using 3D roughing and finishing toolpaths on a part like this are inefficient. They'll usually take much longer, and give a poorer finish.

Sure, if your part requires a 3D toolpath, then of course you'll bring in a 3D model. But when you start your cad model with vectors, which are all you need to machine the part, then why extrude into a 3D model, and import the model, when you don't need it.

If you like to do twice the work and spend twice the time, go right ahead.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Not rubbish at all. (And they are 3D models, btw, not 3D images)
    Oh yes it is!!! You made a silly comment and there's no escaping.
    Yes, using the word "images" is a mistake

If you look at the image of the model he was using above, it's a simple rectangular shape with a pocket. There's no need to import a 3D model when all you're going to be doing is a profile and pocket toolpath.
    Using 3D roughing and finishing toolpaths on a part like this are inefficient. They'll usually take much longer, and give a poorer finish.
    I didn't look at the object (not image) as I was talking more about the principle and the issue of Viacad vectors in Vectric, but if we are only talking about this particular object then you are totally correct. This object can be machined in 2D and a 3D tool path would be as you say.

If you like to do twice the work and spend twice the time, go right ahead.
    I do this all the time my friend! lol