2D to 3D in ViaCad

Thread: 2D to 3D in ViaCad

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2D to 3D in ViaCad

I have ViaCad 2d/3d v9

Say I import a 2d .jpg like the one I attached. I assume to make a 3d image I would trace lines over top of the image to form my initial wire outline.

My question is, how do I form this into a solid so I am able to pull it say 1/4" up to give it dimension for export to cam?

Thanks, hope that is a clear description of what I'm looking to do.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2D to 3D in ViaCad-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

If you trace the JPG and create your 2d drawing, you would start by scaling the drawing so that it's the correct size in 2d first. After you have that sized, you would then use either the "Push/Pull" tool to pull the 2d drawing up into a 3d solid, or you could use a line in the Z axis to guide an extrusion using the "One Rail Sweep Solid" tool. If you use the push/pull tool, you just type in the desired thickness. If you use the one rail sweep, you make a line along the Z axis the length that you want the thickness of the solid to be, so if you want it to be 1/4", you would create a line 1/4" long and use it to guide the sweep of the solid. There should be good instructions out there on how to use both tools.

For what it's worth, the image you have is not perfectly circular, so when you are working with JPGs, you often have to fudge things to get them to be the intended shape rather than directly tracing them. If it's meant to be circular, you would make the adjustments needed to keep it circular. If it's meant to be an oval like it is, that can be a bit more challenging to determine what the intent really is.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. I just used the above drawing as an example, so it's not the actual one I am using. Much appreciated!