Good morning together, this is my first post here in these forums, and first a few words about me:
My name ist Stefan, 21 and i'm from germany, bavaria. At the moment i am attending an apprenticeship in mechatronics.
And here is my actual project: A small, manual horizontal milling machine
Some time ago, i ripped a few Bosch Rexroth linear guides (and some other nice stuff like pneumatic actuators, ballscrews, and much more) from an old machine, i found at the scrapyard. Some of this stuff has been sold on ebay, but i keept a few parts. So i had the idea of building a small horizontal milling machine that could also be used as a lathe for short parts with big diameter or as a tool/cutter grinder.
My design is inspired by the gingery mill and the murad bormilathe, so it will feature a cross slide in front of an vertical axis, on which the headstock with the spindle will move up and down.
The cross slide will be a cheap, chinese one, with new spindles and bearings. The vertical axis will be built completely from scratch, a 100x100mm square tube, weldet together out of hot rolled steel. Two stripes of cold rolled steel are bolted to the front of this collumn, and will carry two 450mm long linear guides.
(it will be filled with concrete for dampening)
painted, and the linear guides screwed on:
(I hope, it wont warp to bad under load)
when it all comes together it will look something like that:
and here is the acme threaded spindle installed, it runs in a single grove ball bearing:
One big problem was finding a spindle, that fits my machine...i couldn't find one, so i built one myself
After working for two weeks on my minilathe, these parts were finished:
The spindle features a short taper nearly like a Sk20 ("Steilkegel 20" in german, i have to admit, that i don't now, what it is called in english). The Bearings are two Single grove ball bearing with an ID of 30mm and 25mm, i hope those will carry the cutting loads. But, if i remember correctly, the spindle of my minilathe has the same bearings mounted.
When all is put together, it looks like this:
(Runout on the taper is lower than 0,01mm..the needle of the dial test indicator is shaking just a little bit)
It will be driven by a Poly V belt and a 0,12kW asynchron motor with inverter.
Next to come is the beltdrive assembly and a base to mount it all together...and the electrics of course.
Please excuse my english...hard to write a text, thats not my native language...i hope, some of you understand, what i'm writing