Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just thought I'd post an update on my progress. NONE!

I've been busy with other projects so this has kind of been shifted to the back burner. I'm hoping as things slow down next month, I'll get the motor changed out.

I have everything ready to start the swap, but getting the old motor out and drilling the new mount to fit just seems to be too much of a chore. Still, I am expecting to have it completed in the next few weeks. In the mean time, I have a few bits of work to do on the lathe and another project to clear from my work bench before doing anything else.

I'll keep you all posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 9x30 lathemaster that the first thing was to replace the spindle motor, I too used a KBRG225, I am using it in the 230v mode with a SEM DC servo motor with encoder and tach, on the 230v range, it is good for 180vdc motor and up to 3hp.
    The tach I have hooked up to the KBRG for fine control.
    I have 1:1 drive using a 1" timing belt and pulleys.
    I replaced the 3/8 side plate that carried the reduction pulleys so I could make up a new C face mount for the motor.
    With the inertia of the chuck, I get the OC led come on when accelerating and braking, it goes into current limit, but it does not falter.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info, Al.

I will be curious as to how well my surplus treadmill motor will perform. The specs on the motor are 4000 rpm at 120vdc and 2.5hp. The current rating says it is 10A which is a bit strange as this is well below what a 2.5hp motor should be. Still, this is at speed and with 120vdc. I will be using 90vdc and the controller set for 10a max current. I have the acceleration and deceleration set to be very conservative so I don't expect any problems. I will also keep the pulleys intact as I can use them to get the speeds I want. The motor does not have a C face mounting pattern so I need to fab up what I need. The motor has two bolt holes on either side of the body. I should be able to mount a plate to the top and bottom and then mount those plates to angle brackets to bolt to the lathe.

If this works out, I may try to convert my mill to use the same kind of motor (I bought two when I found them). I do a lot of small work on the mill so having a spindle speed greater than 2000rpm will be handy. I also have my old Taig lathe with collet adapter handy so I can always mount that headstock to the mill with a second, small motor for the high speed stuff. (So much to do, so little time)

Ron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just completed changing over to VFD. Works great. Removed the 1hp, 1p motor and replaced with 1.5hp, 3p. Really like the ability to change speeds with twist of dial. Used the original pulley setup, therefore for any set ratio can vary the speed from 1/3 to 2 times, i.e. for 300 rpm setup the speed range is from 100 to 600 rpm. Will start on mechanics and electronics soon not that have the motor change completed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al the man

Could you post the companys name that you got the KBRG225 motor and the DC controler from.

I have converted my 10x22 lathe and use it in high production but I am having trouble getting the spindle speed right for my jobs. I am using varible pitch pulleys, like on my Hardinge chucker, that are controled by a third stepper motor which is Y axis and I edit a diamention in the gcode, Y- .250 (500rpm), .750 (600rpm) and so on.

I use Bob Cad/Cam and Mach 3 with no trouble.

I am currently using a custom air chuck but I would like to get something so I can use collets. I also use a barfeeder with a few mods which I took off my Hardinge eight station chucker.

I am right now (in a couple of months) trying to design a 3-6 station turret so I do not have to do second operations.

I just ran across this thread and Derek the conversion is real quality.

Bob
    R.M.D. Marine

R.M.D Marine

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up a G0602 a few weeks ago, with the intention of converting it to CNC, but time has been hard to come by -- anyone care to machine me a set of the plates etc? Of course I'll pay you for your time.

Thanks,
    -Neil.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DC motor conversion

It has been a long time since I posted to this thread. I finally got a chance to make a motor mount and change the AC stock motor to one of my 2HP DC motors. I missed the bolt pattern by a little bit so the stock timing belt is slightly off. Still, it works well and so far no issues. I still need to build a new circuit to drive the controller from the EMC2 software. I have also made an encoder for spindle feedback. I have been successful in doing threading and just about any other work so I'd have to say the conversion was successful. I have more work to complete to make it "production" ready but it works well enough for me to do the work I normally perform. I need to tach the spindle to see what the full range is but it appears to be around 0-1200.

I even tried a few cuts at .1" and more (aluminum stock) to see if it would bog down the motor. No issues I could see other than heat. I have cooling nozzles and cutting fluid if needed but I try to keep cuts shallow and just do more iterations. That is the neat thing about CNC, you can write a program to do almost anything and there is little wasted time.

All in all, not bad for an eBay motor controller and DC motor (total cost about $80). Took a while to find and purchase the controller but it was worth it.

Ron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you could, please post a couple of pics of your setup. I've just about completed my conversion. Got to mount the servos and will be ready to cut some chips. I am using a 3ph motor for my variable speed. To obtain more speed range I left the original pulleys in place and just switched motors. Don't plan to use but could get 3000+ if desired. I use the mid-range ratio's mostly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got the G602 up and running. Still have to do the fine tuning, add limit switches, covers, etc. but it cuts chips and am very pleased with results. Here's some early pics.
    Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion-g602-jpg

Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion-g602-1st-test-cut-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

congrats!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dgoddard View Post
    Got the G602 up and running. Still have to do the fine tuning, add limit switches, covers, etc. but it cuts chips and am very pleased with results. Here's some early pics.
    Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion-g602-jpg

Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion-g602-1st-test-cut-jpg

any more updates??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very nice cnc lathe conversion derekbackus , seems you have created a cult following.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    any more updates??
    Coming along. Got the chip trap made, splash guard, servo covers, etc. Most importand, got the index disk milled, installed, and tested. RPM readout on Mach3 exactly matches tach reading. Cut a 1/2-13 thread on aluminum rod to test using the Mach3 wizzard. Here's a pic. Nut fit perfectly. My setup is highly modified from this original thread, but used his ideas to start off. Really like the G602.

Opps, having trouble attaching file. Will try again to send.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let's try again. Not the best pic. But here goes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grizzly G0602 10" x 22" Lathe Conversion-img_1002-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good to here the update. I got my G0602 a week ago. I have it installed but have not done much with it yet except take it apart and clean it and break it in. I am going to use it a bit before I try and convert it to CNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, let me know if I can be of any help when you start your project. One thing that I would recommend for the manual G602 is to get a QCTP to replace the one that came with the lathe. Much more convenient. The AXA 100 works very well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dgoddard View Post
    Thanks, let me know if I can be of any help when you start your project. One thing that I would recommend for the manual G602 is to get a QCTP to replace the one that came with the lathe. Much more convenient. The AXA 100 works very well.
    Thanks, I picked up a Phase II for it but have not decided how I am going to install it yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how does the L1022 CNC lathe compare to the Syil C6?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    Good to here the update. I got my G0602 a week ago. I have it installed but have not done much with it yet except take it apart and clean it and break it in. I am going to use it a bit before I try and convert it to CNC.
    Well I have bad news, After only about 5 hours on my lathe the spindle bearings have gone out. Has anyone ever replaced their bearings? I would like to get better bearings than it came with. Any suggestions? They are 45X75X20 tapered roller bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would call Grizzly first, they ought to cover that. Of course that won't really be an upgrade of any sort. Have you looked at the "10x22grizzlyandthelike" Yahoo group? There's at least one or two threads on spindle bearing replacement and upgrading.

Last edited by Hans_G; 10-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast