Just In Making a CNC for steel milling

Thread: Making a CNC for steel milling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making a CNC for steel milling

Hi to all,
    I am Delhi based a small business man, we makes SPM machine so far I was making my drawings of machines in solid work and getting them milled from outside. I was just thinking of buying a Taiwan manual milling machine, during getting the knowledge I came to know that their are several people making CNC.

I wanted to give it a try...

so in process I am trying to get the information from this forum gurus..and staring my work..
    so far..I have bought some Nema 34 8.0NM close loop stepper from china with 60 V dc power supply.
    and one Mech 3 usb card ......(during mode-bus tutorial with arduino uno...already lost two boards...so decided to buy ready to use one...)

for spindle I am going to buy from below link...as I need to cut mild steel...mostly.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mors...00023.8.EZjM9p

....for ball screw I am planning to use 25 dia and 5mm pitch ...grounded one....with lest error
    and liner block of 25 ~30 mm for x, y, z,.........

..any help and suggestion will be appreciated....

regards..

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making a CNC for steel milling

I will be happy to help.

I am one of the few ever to have done so.
    It is medium-hard, and medium-expensive.
    Mine is very-large, very-expensive, by hobby standards.

I am still upgrading mine, 100k€ later, 14 years later, version 5.
    Fwiw..

A 25/5 screw is == good for a bridgeport sized area.
    30 mm linear guides = good for a mill in this size.
    Use heavy preload blocks.

30-35" in x or == 800 mm x, 300 mm y, if using a C frame.

A double column or bridge mill is 8x more rigid per volume.

Heavier is better.
    10x heavier than planned, usually, == right. Yes.

Modern machines are all stressed-skin lightly loaded structures of == 15-10 mm cast iron skin thickness on castings.
    Make every part "bigger" if you can.
    This is called section size.

Example.
    Original industrial Bridgeport mill had about 200 mm D of round casting for the mill head ram, in a C frame.
    Late, excellent, german deckel FP4(3) mills had about 250-350 mm, 250x350 mm.
    The deckels were ==10 more rigid == 10 better.

Now, I am using about 2-3 cm thick tool steel for everything.
    4-5 cm for head/vibrating parts.
    My "ram" is 240x200x20 mm box, 35 mm linear guides (hiwin). 20 mm thick.
    40 mm thick plate for spindle mount, 200x200x40 mm.
    Fwiw..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by negibobbyji View Post
    Hi to all,

for spindle I am going to buy from below link...as I need to cut mild steel...mostly.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mors...00023.8.EZjM9p

That morse-taper spindle is only meant for drilling or boring - both operations that involve down-force only. If you apply side-force, as milling operations do, then the chuck will release itself from the spindle and fly away - you won't want to be in its way when it does that.

It would be best to work out the frame of this machine first, and consider the various add-ons like the motors, electronics, screws, spindles, etc. while you're doing that. Things can change in the course of building a machine, and the parts that seemed appropriate early in the process may no longer be applicable once you're further along. A frame heavy-duty enough to handle steel milling will take some significant work to construct; you might think about avoiding that and looking for an older CNC machine with a broken or obsolete controller to start with; sometimes they can be quite inexpensive.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks a lot saved my day as well money...
    my next choice was
    https://fatelai.en.alibaba.com/produ...367.0.0.5xh0Ak

what do you say about it...
    Best Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks a lot. I will keep that in mind ...and will put my design for your review here...glad to be in forum....
    Best regards

Downloads
    Uploads

That 12,000 RPM spindle, while popular for the wood routers we typically are building, would be useless for anything but the smallest cutters you'd be using on steel. It's much too fast, and won't slow down much without burning up. Even if you managed to keep it alive, it wouldn't have any torque at the speeds normally used to cut steel with large-diameter cutters. If you look at the spindles typically included with large milling machines intended for steel milling, they are much more massive, with pulley clusters and a way to handle quick-change tooling or (preferably) automatic tool changing. Since this is the heart of a mill, it's not the sort of thing that's usually sold as a bolt-on attachment, but can be found as a replacement part. Here's a Taiwan site that has them as separate units: Belt-Driven Spindle | VYU CHENG INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. | CENS.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that a good piece of information, the supplier already told me that below 5000 RPM you cant run it. and just to save some money as I am in initial phase how about if I use Turret Milling Machine spindle head..which runs 70 ~ 4200 rpm...or this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EN03...3-10f1dd0bef73
    Thanks

Last edited by negibobbyji; 04-18-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those speed ranges are more like what you want for milling steel. I'm not sure what turret spindle head you're looking at, but the one you linked to seems pretty good. It's not a complete system, though - you'd need a collection of BT-30 toolholders, a rack for them, the pneumatic parts that make the ATC work, and the interface to the command system which tells it what to do. That seems to be a basic spindle assembly that supports automatic toolchanging, but I didn't see anyplace to hook up air to it - there's probably a whole other assembly that needs to mate with it. See if you can get all this stuff from the same seller, because you might not find anything else that works with it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi awerby, I am not sure how much capable this spindle is ...as its dia is 90 mm, but i think..it can work with least 10 mm tool.
    I am attaching the approx layout of my frame and the dimension of the spindle if you guy's can put some light on it will be an extra help. HANERMO...can you share some video of your cnc....thanks in advance...one more thing...if just to save money , I use the hiwin ball screw with C7 (50 mincron backless), can mach 3 backless feature compensate it in real time...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making a CNC for steel milling-structure-jpg   Making a CNC for steel milling-bt30-png  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

finally I bought a knee turret milling machine and converted it into cnc...apart from ball screw I have cnahged rest...due to some financial problem...will change later...but now its working great with backless compensation with accuracy of .02mm