Need Help! Operator Control Panel vs Keyboard

Thread: Operator Control Panel vs Keyboard

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Operator Control Panel vs Keyboard

Well on the way to finalize my Boxford VMC300, and i got to the operator panel.
    The original panel is a bit small, and i started to consider a hinged sidepanel with monitor, som of the manual functions and keyboard instead/in addition.
    And that is when the usual questions arose. What functions to implement in the front panel vs using the keyboard.
    Some of the front panel functions are obvious like Emergency Stop, manual axis jogging, Pause/Feed Hold, Cooling Pump, Door switch and so on.
    The VMC300 is converted for 4 axis with a 5th axis late on which implies 7 inductive limit switches(X=2 / Y=2 / Z=1(Home) / A=1(Home) / B=1(Home).
    In addition the ATC requires 8 input ports(Spindle Lock In-Out / Tool holder Open-locked / ATC position Up-Down / ATC Right-Left
    Now there is a lot of other functions on a VMC that would be nice to operate from the front panel manually, but i`m about to run out of I/O.
    Using a CSMIO/IP-S motion Controller from CS-Labs, i have 32 digital inputs / 16 digital outputs, and 4 analog inputs / 2 analog outputs (0-10V).
    It would be the easy way out to buy the CSMIO-IO module and get an additional 16 digital inputs and 8 digital outputs i know.
    But i really would like the VMC to be practical and even well planned as well...
    So, a simple question to you gents, What would be the preferred manual functions on the front panel, what are the "must have", and what are the "nice to have" ?
    Besides some of the funcions will be controlled by the CSMIO Controller in addtion to manual enable by switch.
    . Adding some pictures from the VMC. 2nd picture is when i started to dissasemble it.