New Machine Build Slant bed lathe, tool changer, pneumatic 5c drawbar, DYNOMOTION control, PICS! - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Slant bed lathe, tool changer, pneumatic 5c drawbar, DYNOMOTION control, PICS!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Slant bed lathe, tool changer, pneumatic 5c drawbar, DYNOMOTION control, PICS!

Dupe post, silly boy.

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Slant bed lathe, tool changer, pneumatic 5c drawbar, DYNOMOTION control, PICS!

Wow. Fantastic build.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the good words Mark!

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Happy 2017 Andrew,

I got my ER16 spindle chucks today & they look great for the price paid. I think mine possibly came from a different vendor than yours. Do yours have a 19x1mm thread & 22mm collet nut wrench size instead of the more standard 22x1.5mm thread & 25mm wrench size? Not really a problem, just curious.

Hi Milton,

Yes, mine have the 22mm nut and 19x1 thread. I was surprised by the small nut too.

Do you think they will work in your machine?

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

They will do fine Andrew. Thanks for turning us on to these. I still can't believe the price! How they can make money selling them at that price plus $.99 shipping amazes me. Maybe it's like a friend of mine used to say: "I lose a little on every sale but I make up for it in volume!"

I'll have to turn down the OD to 3/4" to fit my toolholder but that's no biggie. I'm thinking I may turn up a tapered arbor to fit the taper and chuck the other end by the 8mm bore in my rotating tailstock. Should eliminate any runout in case I use them for what they're actually intended for down the road.

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like a good plan Milton.

Glad you like them. I was shocked by the price too. I don't know how concentric they are when used as a milling spindle chuck, but for a lathe application, where the tool does not spin its much less of an issue. I have not noticed any problems with the ones I have.

I am careful about tightening the nut on these. They have a thinner wall than US made er16 chucks, so I don't reef down on the nut just to prevent them from cracking.

I have had US made CAT40 er16 chucks split, so I know its a possibility. Not sure if the cracks I have seen were because of a crash, or over tightening though.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been having more fun. Decided to try some aluminum parts. Machine has been performing better than I expected.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

it works beautiful

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks zmajmr!

Andrew

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

BUILD UPDATE:

In 2018 a forest fire burned the town I lived in. All machines lost in fire, along with the entire town.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

I was just looking over your build and all the great work you did , terrible way to see it end , sorry for all your loss

Last edited by metalmayhem; 02-09-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks metalmayhem.

We feel very blessed. My family all made it out alive, and we had excellent insurance, they took good care of us, just took time to rebuild our life. I do miss the machines I built, but I replaced them with better ones.

I had an un-enclosed matsuura mc500 vertical mill from the mid 1980s that I converted with the dynomotion and this lathe that I built. Building my own machines was all I could really afford at the time.

After the fire I moved to texas, I was able to get a VF2 and a mori-seiki lathe.

I don't miss the matsuura much, as the VF2 is just a wayyyy better machine. The little lathe in this build log, I do miss quite a bit. For most of the small parts I make, having that tiny lathe made setup so easy. setting up my MORI to make small parts is a challenge. Its got an 8" chuck, and that's heavy to work with.

Insurance is a life saver, never be under insured.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Man, what a heartbreaking end after all that work
    What part of Texas? I miss Texas. People are so much nicer down there.

Downloads
    Uploads

North of Austin. Far enough to be rural.

Love it here, cows and all.

Andrew

Andrew

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234