ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit

One step closer, today my PCB's turned up for the encoder line drivers and also my breakout board I designed to plug into the MESA 7i43, kept everything simple, hopefully my servo drives will plug directly into this (and work) as well as basic IO, each board has step/dir/enable/index and fault signals to the four axis headers, as well as four outputs and seven inputs. General IO is opto isolated, servo drive signals are buffered as I have optos on the drives.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-imag1988_1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I should mention I have my servo drives operational and tested (holding position, not accepting step dir yet), at least on other servo's - the ones in the picture. Going to build one drive for the mill servo's for testing and plug it in to see how it goes. Going to be a busy weekend.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZENFORD ZEIGLER Vertical Mill retrofit-imag1903-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Fast progress you are making there. Nice that all the hardware is serviceable so far.
    Mark

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russell,
    That's a nice machine you have there. I learned cnc machining on one at Tafe many years ago, it was near new when I was using it. We only machined aluminium on it but some of the exercises where for quick metal removal, and it was impressive to watch. I don't think you will have any rigidity problems with it, it is very well designed and built.

regards,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySMP View Post
    Fast progress you are making there. Nice that all the hardware is serviceable so far.
    Mark
    Hi Mark, everything seems to be OK so far, played around with the oil lube system a little tonight, until things are moving it is very difficult to work out if it is working properly, but if an oil fitting is loosened then it pumps oil by manually working the plunger. Going to remove the Y axis bellows to gain better access to the X rails and bearing blocks, and to properly clean them before I start moving the X around too much. Hope I can get a better look at the oil system while I am at it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno402002 View Post
    Hi Russell,
    That's a nice machine you have there. I learned cnc machining on one at Tafe many years ago, it was near new when I was using it. We only machined aluminium on it but some of the exercises where for quick metal removal, and it was impressive to watch. I don't think you will have any rigidity problems with it, it is very well designed and built.

regards,

John
    Hi John, I hope it is rigid enough, I cannot fit anything bigger in the shed that is for sure ! I can't wait to put it through its paces, I also mainly wish to make things in aluminium, with a few steel things every now and then.

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    It has linear rail looking blocks, but they don't look like standard type linear rails, a mate reckons they must have needle rollers inside as they are too small to be slideways, might try doing some investigating on that.
    I did my apprenticeship at Zenford Zeigler. I might have even had a hand in building that machine.

The slide ways on that machine for all 3 axis, contain INA RUS Recirculating Linear Bearings. From memory an RUS 19069. In a Gr3 accuracy. There's 12 per axis.

Linear roller bearings - RUS

The rails them self were made in house at Zenford. Flame hardened and ground.

Regards Phil.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Phil, thanks a bunch for that, very cool information. Nice to get a bit of the background of the machine, especially from somebody that worked on them.

They are very well made machines, I am very happy to be able to get this one going again.

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Russ.

What part of the country are you in? Roughly speaking. I'm in Melbourne. Happily give you a couple of hours one Saturday, if you were local. Could barely cost a coffee. Just for old times sake. I still keep in touch with one of the principle engineers of that machine, and my Foremen at the time. The Engineer has 3 of them that he has bought back, and retrofitted. I helped him move his shop 12 - 18 months ago.

To be fair, I only just looked at your pictures again. That machine could well have been before my time, or early on in my apprenticeship. I note It's DC servo's? What are they S.E.M or Baldor?

Towards the end 1989 -90. They were fully Fanuc AC servo & control. Yours could only have had an ANCA?

Regards Phil.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Phil, you may need more than one coffee to drop in to my place, I live about half an hour south of Cairns, a bit under 3000K's away. You would be welcome if you managed to make it though.

Yes servos are DC and S.E.M. and yes it did have an ANCA control, long gone now but LinuxCNC should put some life back into the old girl.

Spindle is also DC, that will most likely prove to be the hardest to power, not the drive side but finding a 180volt 20 amp DC supply will be interesting.

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got as close as Townsville in the past 12 months on a job. I'm still in the machine tools trade. Self employed, service engineer, last 26 -27 years since Z-Z fell under. I'd still be there today is it didn't drop out from under me. Remarkable company.

Mission Beach is my all time favourite part of the country. You'd be in the middle of that and Cairns. Great part of the world..

Regards Phil.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well if you happen to get any closer be sure to let me know. I did a bit of googling on Z-Z, very interesting indeed, I kinda feel bad for retrofitting the machine and not restoring it to "original" condition like the car guys do with their restoration jobs.

Mission is nice, one of the best beaches in this part of the world.

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mate I have in my possession a full set of drawing for that model as i have a 4axis zenford zeigler with anca control but with a fanuc ac spindle that has just died.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by raymond.baker8@ View Post
    Hi mate I have in my possession a full set of drawing for that model as i have a 4axis zenford zeigler with anca control but with a fanuc ac spindle that has just died.
    G'day Raymond.

I have a mate that was a former Electrician at Z-Z. He has a Fanuc Spindle Motor and Drive. Brand new, still in the box. Bought at the auction when Zenford closed down.

No idea what he'd want for it, but he has just hit retirement age, and was looking to wind up his factory.

I can put you in touch if that helps.

Regards Phil.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Raymond, as it happens I have a few of the drawings myself, although they will only be useful for the oil lube system and possibly the clutch pack, as the machine was completely stripped before I got it, I have the Anca front panel only but there isn't much left on that either. Mine has a DC spindle which means a nice and simple drive will do the job, I am thinking one of my servo drives with some large power modules may work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi epineh, let me know if you need any wiring diagrams or drawings I think i may even have a manual for your DC spindle motor i will have a look on the weekend . The number of my machine is 498 located on the front right hand corner.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    It has linear rail looking blocks, but they don't look like standard type linear rails, a mate reckons they must have needle rollers inside as they are too small to be slideways, might try doing some investigating on that. The X is the only one I've cleaned up for now and it moves quite easily turning the ballscrew by hand.

The X Ballscrew is almost perfect the entire length, only one end has some slight rust pitting on it, will have to spend some time on that.
    I will have a look through my drawings on the weekend and try to photo copy it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machtool View Post
    G'day Raymond.

I have a mate that was a former Electrician at Z-Z. He has a Fanuc Spindle Motor and Drive. Brand new, still in the box. Bought at the auction when Zenford closed down.

No idea what he'd want for it, but he has just hit retirement age, and was looking to wind up his factory.

I can put you in touch if that helps.

Regards Phil.
    Hi Phil

Have a talk to your mate and get back to me

Regards Raymond.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi epineh, let me know if you need any wiring diagrams or drawings I think i may even have a manual for your DC spindle motor i will have a look on the weekend . The number of my machine is 498 located on the front right hand corner.
    Hi Raymond, sorry I thought I replied to your last post, must be old age kicking in.

The machine is completely stripped of anything electrical so I am starting from scratch, sounds bad but it will actually be quite straightforward, it will just be a bigger heavier version of the wood router I just finished, with a few extra requirements, spindle clutch, oil lube system etc.

The spindle motor has its nameplate still intact but the manual might be worth a look, I don't plan to upgrade it, DC spindles are nice as far as building a drive goes, I don't think brushes will be a problem as it won't ever be in 24hr production.

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All,

Does anyone know the L x W x H of this machine as I have seen one but it is in Melbourne (obviously) and I am in Perth.

Are the machines easily reapairable / parts available ....

Does anyone have an owners manual I can purchase a copy of.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Gavin

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Just wondering how you ended up going with this project. Have purchased a complete NC200 with toolchanger, the old ANCA 2000 seems to have seen better days.I and am looking for some advise / info and a bit of inspiration. Hope everyone is well.

Matt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast