Need Help! Live Tooling Info

Thread: Live Tooling Info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Live Tooling Info

Hello long time reader but this is my first post. I have been interested in building a lathe from scratch for a while and I would really like to include a live tooled turret. I have access to full size machine tools but I haven't even seen the inside of one of these. I understand how the basic turret indexing and alignment works and I have a few ideas for how to transmit the power out to the tools but my hang up is that most of the full size lathes I have seen are capable of rigid tapping with the live tools. I can't seem to wrap my head around how they transfer the power without backlash to accomplish this. The only thing I have been able to come up with is encoders in the live tooling adapters. So I came here to see if the smarter heads here had any ideas. Does anyone know how they accomplish the feat? Is the minimal backlash imposed from a well mated set of gears even enough to screw up the reverse at the bottom of the threads or am I over thinking this completely?

thanks,
    jseehorn

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Live Tooling Info

On some it is by a encoderen motor on the back of the turret, usually the same that is used to index the turret with that runs the live tooling via a set of gears and a shaft that then connect to the tool holder, the ridged tapping function is a set of backslash parameters that tell the motor that when it has to reverse it has to compensate for the back lash this is done from the factory and as you can think quite accurate. you should be able to come up with something just put your mind to it enough and it will happen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had considered that it could be done with a very precise dwell at the bottom of the hole to give the spindle time to catch up in reverse but I was hoping it was something else. Seems like getting that timing perfect would be a great way to break a few dozen taps. That and an encoder on the actual tool holder spindle are the only 2 things I have been able to come up with. I guess a floating tap holder could be used while figuring out the exact timing to save the taps...

thanks for the info
    jseehorn

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

search for patents on google. I know I saw some designs a while ago

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not too sure why you need to rigid tap. its nice and all but for diy, its seems like a lot of extra work for little gain

You can always try split bevel gear design and adjust the backlash until you have something that works

Last edited by Winterwatchers; 04-23-2014 at 01:45 AM.