Retrofit used Renishaw probe head? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retrofit used Renishaw probe head?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One last question: Should I use a pull down resistor? I'm planning on 24V to the probe, then to one of the inputs on the Mesa 7i37TA. I read the manual it says there is already a current limiting resistor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Usually card inputs show a voltage limit for no resistor required or fitted, over and above that a resistor is recommended.
    I would imagine the card input instructions would show this normal voltage range?
    Note:
    I see the Man. shows 4 to 24v.
    So you should be OK
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received the electronic parts I ordered. I'm waiting for the blank tool holder. I can confirm that the connector on the back of the MP3 probe is a 3 pin DIN.

I need to make an adapter plate that will hold the MP3 probe to the tool holder. 3.35" diameter x ~1" thick. What should I use 1018? 6061?

I read through a lot of Renishaw literature on this project and they recommend that when the probe isn't in use, having the probe cable go into a connect on the control panel which enables the spindle. This prevents the spindle from turning with the probe and cable attached. I'm going to implement this feature.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you using or adapting any Renishaw macro's? Be sure to include a Protected move, this is a G31 routine for any move that is not measuring, rapid move etc.
    You should never program a move without a G31 when the probe is in the spindle, for collision protection.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't looked into the software side much. It looks like g38.x has the functionality your are describing. G Codes

I'm also planning on getting a weak link for the stylus.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that site is a bit off base, for a machining center in particular, usually G31 is a skip (measuring probe) function, G38 is cutter dia. comp. vector change?
    Immediately a skip input (probe output) is detected on a G31 line, the motion terminates and drops through to the next line.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that is LINUXCNC's particular flavor of gcode. I've only used Mach3 and LINUXCNC so I can't speak to how it matches up with Fanuc or whatever the standard is.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received the toolholder blank. The ring that the locking nut uses to hold the tool in the spindle is about .1" too big. I'll need to turn that off before I use it.

I'm planning on cutting off most of the blank shaft and some how attaching a larger diameter adapter plate for the MP3 probe head.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach uses G31 skip.
    Not sure what Linux uses?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Frustrating day today. I went to put the blank tool holder in the spindle and the flange was too wide to fit inside the nut. I've heard of this when using import tool holders. I cut down the long blank shaft, chucked it up in my lathe and turned down the flange a bit. This was pretty tough going as it's hardened. It was eating up my cheap brazed carbide lathe tools but I got it done eventually. I put the tool holder in the spindle and the bottom of the flange is too close to the taper. The nut gets to the end of its travel before the tool gets tight in the taper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok. New plan. I can get a NMTB30 tool holder with a male jacobs taper. Then I'll cut a matching taper in the adapter plate using my lathe. I don't have a grinder on my lathe. I'm considering getting as nice a finish as I can in the lathe and then heating the adapter plate and freezing the tool holder before assembly. Comments?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lots of progress.

I order a NMTB30 tool holder with at JT6 male taper from Penn tool (its a Bison tool holder). I receive it and rather than the taper starting immediately below the flange it starts over an inch below. After going in circles with Bison for awhile they agree it is out of spec but they are all like that. Last I heard they were calling Poland to figure it out. It is going to make the probe that much longer than my other tools which is a drag because I only have 5" of Z travel and cranking the knee up and down is a pain and decreases accuracy if I'm using the probe for set up.

Over the last few days I've been making up the adapter that goes on the JT6 and allows the MP3 probe to mount and be adjusted to be on the spindle center line. This is important because I dont have anyway to index the spindle. The adapter also carries the plug that will go to the controller.

I'm keeping the pictures small because there are lots of them. You can click on them to get the full sized images.

I still need to do the wiring and then look into how to interface a probe to linuxcnc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retrofit used Renishaw probe head?

Will - any update on this?

You've inspired me to try this for my novakon pulsar mill although I was just going to thread an ER20 collet chuck to the adapter plate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retrofit used Renishaw probe head?-screen-shot-2016-12-23-11-27-a  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Will - any update on this?

You've inspired me to try this for my novakon pulsar mill although I was just going to thread an ER20 collet chuck to the adapter plate.
    Yes. It's working great. I can't imagine life without a probe. My only issue is the probe is quite long and I have limited z travel on my machine. I have a shorter probe tip and I could rework the tool holder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    Yes. It's working great. I can't imagine life without a probe. My only issue is the probe is quite long and I have limited z travel on my machine. I have a shorter probe tip and I could rework the tool holder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Great- any wiring tips u can share? I was just going to use 12v from my machine and try to figure how to go straight to the breakout board

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cant remember if I used +12V or +5V. My probe acts as a normally closed switch that opens with the probe tip is displaced.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok perfect - that sounds straightforward

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123