Proxxon MF70 mod

Thread: Proxxon MF70 mod

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Proxxon MF70 mod

Hi

I am about to make some changes to my MF70.
    It is already CNC converted via a kit from usovo.de.

However, after using it for some time I now have huge backlash problems.
    I expected to have to do this sooner or later but not this fast. Following the usovo kit instructions I glued the threaded axles directly to the engine axis for each axle.
    Thus I have no way to adjust backlash...

To solve this I ordered three SKF ball nuts and a 6x2 axle for the ball nuts.
    The plan is to refit the machine and extend the x axis at the same time.

Question 1
    The axis I received is not straight, how do I solve that? The plan was to cut the 1m axle in 3 and use one part for each axis.
    My initial thought is that any bends should ruin the accuracy and make it useless.
    Not to mention cause wear in the ball nuts.

Question 2
    I plan on getting the table extended along the x axis.
    It has about 16cm travel atm, Id like to extend it to 40-50cm travel.
    Extension is to be made by machining a new top for the coordinate table.
    Is the original guides going to be able to cope with the increased momentum caused by more table overhang?

Ill post more info and pictures when I get home.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Are you sure the backlash problem has to do with the nuts and not the axial bearing or play on the guides? Did you try to move the table by pushing / pulling on the x-as motor? If you dont feel that much play as by pulling the table itself, the problem isn't the nut.
    I suppose a bended axle has not much influence in accuracy in travel direction. My experience is a bended axle results in extra loads on the guides which will result in play onto these guides!
    On my machine I already made twice new spindles, the fist of cheap threaded bars wich were bend to much, the second of grade A2 stainless (the iron store I was didn't had bars in 10.9 or 12.9 quality in stock at that moment) and new nuts from delrin. In the nuts, I made the second thread stage with a regular tool, the final stage with a part rest material of the SS spindle with a grinded cutting side. Result minimum backlash. If there will be to much backlash I know this will come from the nuts because I use preloaded axial needle bearings (see MF70 conversion). New new nuts will be made at minimum costst.
    At this moment I only make small parts on my MF70 and use the overhanging weight of the stepper motor to eliminate the play on the guides. As I see how easy play becomes to these guides, I think its not a good idea to increase the travel to 40 or 50 cm.

regards, Leo

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Yes, I am very certain the slack is in the delrin nuts. Since both ends of the threaded axles are glued at the moment I have no way of adjusting the slack at all. The slides have been adjusted and tightened so there is no slack there.
    I also opted for ball nuts to get away from replacing delrin nuts.

Anyway, this is the SKF ball screw I bought:
    Buy Ball / Lead Screws and Accessories SCREW SHAFT 6X2 SKF 1101001 online from RS for next day delivery.
    (Click dimensional drawing data sheet, its in english)

The deviation is about 1cm when laid against a straight ruler, length is 1 meter.

When it comes to the x axis extension I know 40 cm sound like alot, and it really is for such a small machine. The way I plan to do it is to have a new table machined from aluminium stock to the same dimensions as the current table only longer, then put the motor on one end and a weight on the other end equal to the motor.

That way when its centered there should not be much more stress then it is now, only when I wander off and use the ends of the table. (thus not causing excessive guide wear, I hope...)

I have seen solutions where people bolt two standard tables together, but I really dont think that works in the long run. Creating a completely new table with beefier guides has also crossed my mind, but then I might as well remake the column etc...
    I had to draw the line somewhere so I figured it would be better to make the minimun modifications and get the machine back up and running.

Its getting late now so I dont have time to upload pictures, Ill give that a go tomorrow. Im still a bit worried about the ball screw not being dead straight.

This is where I read about the ball screws etc. You can see some pictures there, Im just trying to copy what he did.
    Fighting backlash

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Proxxon MF70 mod

Hello there
    It is pretty old thread, but I decide to use it instead making new one.
    I have Proxxon MF70 and I did a lot of work with it. I got the machine because I had to make
    front and back pannels for ready to use boxes for electronics. Boxes are the Achilles' heel of DIY electronics, you know. MF 70 is pretty simple but still accurate. However, I had to
    improve it a little. I will describe what I've done in series and if someone have advises, I would be glad to see better solutions.

First, the RPMs was too high for milling plastics. The motor is universal DC type and it is controlled by triac. By addition of complement RC group I was able to slow down the RPMs.

I described this here:

h**p://www.instructables.com/id/Reducing-the-Speed-of-the-PROXXON-MF-70/

Some work done:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proxxon MF70 mod-fo83yaiinm7n73w-large-jpg   Proxxon MF70 mod-20160525_144740-jpg   Proxxon MF70 mod-20160523_115313-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am lazy. My laziness is growing with the age. Is hard for me to count back and forth all the time. Measuring distance is just comparing segments. So I did laser guide to avoid counting. It is a laser diode attached to the table. The laser point moves over the drawing. That is. When the point approached a corner, take a look at the nonius.
    I did dozens panels that way and some maze style boards.

Accidentally my 50 cent diode died, so I make new pointer with battery and boost converter. I wish to reduce the wires around the table. This is the new board in progress:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proxxon MF70 mod-20170213_133013-jpg   Proxxon MF70 mod-20151211_134912-jpg  
    Last edited by fobi; 03-13-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Better view

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be converting my Proxxon MF70 to CNC in the very near future. I think the laser pointer is a great idea!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    I will be converting my Proxxon MF70 to CNC in the very near future. I think the laser pointer is a great idea!!
    Thanks.I am going that way too. CNC with timing belts. I want to preserve all manual controls. So far I am here:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proxxon MF70 mod-20170308_095231-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progress report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Next !

Proxxon MF70 mod-20170325_181116-jpg

sss somebody stop me !